• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jean_quemener

Buying A 309 Rear Beam

Jean_quemener

Been looking out for a 309 rear beam to put on my 205, i have been offered one localy to me, im going up to take a look at it today but i would say it has been sat in the guys workshop on the floor for 2 years ish, just wondering what to look for to make sure she not F**ked and beening sat there that long is it going to be sized + he said for make him an offer for the beam and front arms if its in ok condition any recomendations for offer and i know the lower the better, 150 for the lot over paying?

shalmaneser

I wouldn't look to pay over £100 personally.

I've just bought one in good condition for £100 including calipers and discs etc.

You need to be aware of the following things:

It WILL need a rebuild even if in 'good' condition. You're looking at at least £150 for this new seals, bearings etc, plus a lot of your own time and definitely replacement shafts (some second hand ones will be OK).

If it's sold with the caliper there is a very good chance the bleed nipples will snap off in the caliper, effectively rendering them scrap.

It's a worthwhile upgrade but make sure you go in there eyes open.

Then theres bushes, new brake lines etc etc.

As for the arms, they'll need new bushes too, but £40 will see them OK with new genuine Pug parts.

MerlinGTI

As said it will need a rebuild unless its been done recently. Best thing to do is take the trailing arms out of the beam tube if poss, this will give you an idea of how much to pay. Arm shafts for example are ~£110 for a pair alone, sometimes they can go again sometimes you will need new ones. Bearings are quite expensive as well. Any damage to the beam tube itself and its likely scrap.

Brakes will more than likely need a rebuild if supplied, ask the owner to free off the nipples, if they snap, barter.

Its quite a minefield, I was in your position last year and really struggled to find a goodun after looking at some right old sh*t or massivly overpriced tat. GTI6BOY saved me in the end (cheers dude :angry: )

Give prefrence to beams that can be viewed on the car. Any wonkey wheels = walk away.

Take an open ended spanner with you (21mm IIRC, check this its been a while!) and pop it over the tortion bars to check their width. Any smaller = its a base model beam, no good for you.

Sounds obvious but make sure it has the ARB end plates, not just a wheel hub style blank. No Arb plates = base model.

Buying and rebuilding my 309 beam + brakes (myself) cost me about £600! I know Jord294 (?) sells ready rebuilt beams for the £200 - £400 mark depending on spec, Bargain if you ask me!

Alastairh

Good advice above to let you know what you are letting yourself in for.

If you do struggle though, i will have a rebuilt 309 GTi beam available shortly.

Al :angry:

Baz

Differing opinions really, depends where you're buying it from and what they know/what you trust.

20mm not 21 too.

And IMO £150 is cheap for a non-seized/servicable beam tube and bars & drive shafts.

MerlinGTI
Differing opinions really, depends where you're buying it from and what they know/what you trust.

20mm not 21 too.

And IMO £150 is cheap for a non-seized/servicable beam tube and bars & drive shafts.

Trust no one :lol:

I stand corrected :angry:

Agreed,

I'm a little confused on re-reading the OP. Front arms = Wishbones? If so look for a sloppy balljoint and knackered bush's. Bush's can be replaced but balljoints are pretty terminal.

Baz

Yars the bit in bold is meant to be wishbones/front arms then.

Baz

I must add ''rebuilt'' doesn't necessarily mean jacksh!t. I could take apart a rear beam, and simply put it back together and call it 'rebuilt'. Just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons completely, in my experience, and certainly i know Anthony will agree and he's certainly experienced this alot more than i, one man's 'rebuilt' means nothing to a more knowing man, there's too many depending factors, but sometimes surprising they last 6mths. :ph34r:;) Equally though, there is such thing as used beams out there that are still good, maybe they've been rebuilt (properly) in the past sure, but you see where i'm coming from.

Also, looking for camber is pointless to some extent, later 309 beams have an amount of camber anyway. You never truly know the state of a beam until it's apart and inspected because he important bits are inside, one example is the goodwood i broke just before christmas, the beam was absolutely fine on the car, perfect almost, moved freely with no creaks/squeaks and without excessive camber. A few weeks later and off the car, whilst it still moves and is seemingly fine, i'm now not selling it because i can tell the bearings will be less than up to scratch, but it's servicable at least, if caught in time, so still worth more than your average beam.

Edited by Baz

Jean_quemener

thanks for the replys guys never made it up there as the guy was busy going to head up monday after work, if Jord294 is selling rebuilt beams and can ship i mite speak to him see what the score is, decisions decisions is it alot of hassel to rebuild the beam or is it quite a easy job?

shalmaneser
thanks for the replys guys never made it up there as the guy was busy going to head up monday after work, if Jord294 is selling rebuilt beams and can ship i mite speak to him see what the score is, decisions decisions is it alot of hassel to rebuild the beam or is it quite a easy job?

Depends on how hands on you are really, getting the TBs out can be a PITA.

It's doable, but if you've got the cash buy one of Jords I reckon.

Baz

Rebuild kit, complete is around £80, new trailing arm shafts are at least £50ish each.

You do the math then read between the lines and re-read the posts above and you'll see what i mean. :)

Jean_quemener

think im just going to go for it, so around 200 ish for all the bits, going to be well cheaper to do it myself. im sure i should able to do it im a welder/fitter by trade

shalmaneser

Fair play mate if you're good with a spanner it'll be fine.

click HERE for the parts you need from peugeot. Cost me £54 all in.

GSF have got the bearings in stock at the moment, £23 for the whole lot.

Other than that it's just a question of finding the stub axles (and the beam!)

tom's TB puller comes in very handy, unless you have a hydraulic press to remove the TBs. you will need a press to remove the stub axles however - i needed 9 tons of pressure!

then other than brakes bushes etc you're done.

Good luck!

jimistdt

Had a look through the for sale section lately? *Hint*

Baz
Fair play mate if you're good with a spanner it'll be fine.

click HERE for the parts you need from peugeot. Cost me £54 all in.

GSF have got the bearings in stock at the moment, £23 for the whole lot.

Other than that it's just a question of finding the stub axles (and the beam!)

tom's TB puller comes in very handy, unless you have a hydraulic press to remove the TBs. you will need a press to remove the stub axles however - i needed 9 tons of pressure!

then other than brakes bushes etc you're done.

Good luck!

You don't need to touch the stub axles!

I'm sure you mean trailing arm shafts. :D

shalmaneser
You don't need to touch the stub axles!

I'm sure you mean trailing arm shafts. :P

I can never remember which is which. The ones that are always f***ed. :D

Jean_quemener

the press wont be a problem, we have a 60T press at work should piss it.