• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest roblemon69

Help My Drivers Rear Wheel Has Gone Wonky

Guest roblemon69

hi as above for no reason my rear wheel drivers side has tilted out wards at the top ?

normally i thought when the beam dies they tilt in wards.

i have not hit anything,not curbed it parking etc.

just walked up to the car this morning and noticed it. on the weekend as i took photos of the car after polishing it and it looks straight then.

any ideas what could be wrong?. it all loOKs ok from under the car and nothing seems lose if i shake the car? and watch the suspension move

i add a pic tomorrow if it helps.

davey sprocket

You've checked the wheel bolts presumably??

Probably be more obvious what the problem is if you can jack it up and get the weight of the car off the wheel.

allye

That just shouting out its a f****d beam!

Anthony

Rear wheel bolts are definately tight? Just wondering if someone's tried to pinch the wheels and left it sat half-off.

Otherwise, the usual reason for positive camber is a bent stub axle, but that's generally the result of smacking a kurb sideways - you sure no one else borrowed the car and might have had a little lift-off oversteer whoopsie, possibly in yesterdays snow?

A dead/dying beam will give excessive negative camber, not positive camber.

davey sprocket

You've been round the other side of the car and checked that someone hasn't crashed into it and shoved the car up against the kerb??

Daft suggestion maybe but it is unusual for the wheel to be leaning that way.

Guest roblemon69

hi i think i may have found why my wheel is wonky

i think its where i sometimes catch the higher part of my drop kerb when i park on my driveway.

it a very busy road and i need to be quick and reverse onto the drive which means the driver rear wheel is on an slight angle when i go up the kerb,which seems to push the rear wheel inwards at the bottom.

this is the only way i can think it has happend.

if this is the case how much damage could be done and any idea on parts/prices etc.

i have checked wheel nuts etc

Edited by roblemon69

Guest roblemon69

i have a got to pick up a complete rear beam Friday.

sort out some new mounts and fit it i have read the guide and it don't look to bad a job to do

jimistdt
i have a got to pick up a complete rear beam Friday.

sort out some new mounts and fit it i have read the guide and it don't look to bad a job to do

If it's a straight swap then it should be relatively straight forward, if your doing it on your own then a trolley jack under each beam as you remove/refit will help no end.

Have a look for BBM (Baker Bushes and Mountings), Stew205 on here, he will do you a discount on the mounts if you mention the forum.

Guest roblemon69

all I'm worried about is how to remove the handbrake cables from the drum brakes? the rest of the job don't seem that bad.if any one knows let me know

jimistdt

With the handbrake in the off position disconnect the end of the cable from the shoe, and tap the cable retainer through the back of the backplate and get them out of the way.

:lol: