• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ben_M

Spax Psx Shocks

Ben_M

Hi

I've been trying to do some research on these shocks to see if they will suit my requirements but my searchs dont seem to drag up much info.

My current set up is as follow: -35 eibach progressivly wound coil spring Bilstein Black shocks on the front and standard rear shocks with the rear beam lowered to match the front ride height.

This setup is ok on a country road but, seems to be sloppy on the faster A roads. I do a few 3-4 trackdays a year and find the car to have far to much body roll than I would like.

Before this set up had Koni adjustable all round but ended up removing them as the ride on the country roads was harsh!

How do the Spax PSX adjustables compare to the Koni's in track performance and general fast road use?

My reasons for the Spax PSX choice is the rear shocks are adjustable on car. where as the rear koni's are off car adjustable.

So maybe I'll be able to set the shocks up for road and then track easier.

Alternatively if some one can offer a better susspension for my needs I would consider that .

Sorry for the woffle just. in need of a bit of guidence for a susspension setup to suit me.

Paul_13

There was a recent topic on the Spax shocks in question.

Have you considered uprating the rear torsion bars? Or the ARB's on front/back?

Also some grp N top mount rubbers will help stiffen things up :ph34r:

Ben_M

Thanks for the reply. I have uprated ploy bushes and Group N top mounts.

I have considered the Front and rear ARB but I dont really understand the where to get the bits and how to fit all the rear stuff...

Do you run up rated ARBs then?

Paul_13

Yep, 309 gti front arb and a 24mm rear arb.

The 309 front ARB is a direct fit, (PM Baz if your after one he has a few) it's 21mm instead of 19mm. Make sure if you source one it comes with the correct fixtures and bushes.

As for the rear ARB I bought that off Taylorspug on here, but he has no more for sale. That is a direct fit aswell, only thing is I have a 309 rear beam.

What beam do you have? 1.9/1.6?

I think a Saxo/106 24mm ARB can be adapted to fit, not sure how but I think it's been covered on here before.

Edited by Paul_13

Ben_M

Thankyou for the info ... is this a really good Upgrade?? I have a 1.6 rear beam. the car has a gti-6 engine in if thats relevent apparntly its 20kg heavier

mogsman

I spent today taking off the psx kit and putting standard struts and springs. The kit is too harsh for the average a and b roads. Its great for smooth fast roads but as a daily driver its hopeless. The soft setting was too hard!

Ian

Paul_13

This is the man who was talking about your shocks ^

A rear arb will help with body to an extend but best coupled with bigger torsions bars, that my opinion anyway.

Alot of people will say try different setups and see what works best for you.

Are you trying to combat body roll or get a nice track day suspension setup? I'm a bit confused by your post.

Edited by Paul_13

Ben_M

The car is used for everything, I'm after a fair allrounder setup really. My current setup is too slopy on track and the faster roads. But My old Koni setup used to try and kill me on the country lanes... just bounced off the road!

Ian Like you say my old Koni shock were to harsh, I was looking at the Psx thinking it may have been softer .. but I may now try the ARB route.

Anyone now which stiffer Koni adjustables or the Spax PSX shocks?

boldy205

I have a PSX setup on my GTi6 205. With 309 rear beam and 309 front setup, even on the lightest damping setup its v harsh on the road, pretty good on the tracks. Although i am thinking of making the front a bit softeras i find i have so much grip on the back, that it tends to get a bit understeery when pushing very hard. Not sure if this will cure it.

Matt

Baz

The PSX's are the adjustable ones? Smaller dia. spring coilovers?

As above and IMO Spax damping is questionable.

I'd stick with what you've got personally it's a fairly decent setup, compliance is under-rated.

What rear dampers do you run?

Edited by Baz

Henry Yorke

I had PSX on my XS years ago. They were adjustable too so I thought I coiuld wind them up for sprinting and down again from road. The settings were hard or f**king hard! However I had lowered the car a lot. Now I have Eibach springs on my CTI (the best springs you can get) and Koni red shocks which are adjustable on the back. I have a perfect fast road setup and am exceptionally happy.