• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
asdf205

Steering Rack

asdf205

Had a little accident in my 205 a few weeks back. I managed to snap the steering rack. I brought a 205 cti to take the rack (and other parts) from but it turns out the cti has powersteering so the racks are different. Where can i get a new rack from and is there a how to guide on how to remove/refit a new one?

'

Paul_13

Source a second hand one on here :lol:

You will need the rack and lower column link. PM ryanstdt he has one but I have the lower column link.

It's a spline type as there are 2 types. (Square and splined)

Wouldn't get rid of the CTI the bits are worth money and will get snapped up on here :D

Also to remove the rack is 6 bolts, 2 x 16mm (I think) which connects the rack to the subframe. The 2 track rod end nuts (on the hub) and the last 2 you will find on the steering column/link

Edited by Paul_13

Baz

You can use the PAS rack from the CTI though, without the PAS ram/pump and associated parts. You'll effectively then have a slightly quicker rack too.

asdf205

I was under the impression that i coudnt use the rack from the cti. To be honest id rather keep the cti in one peice as ive been driving it around and i do quite like it. They also seem to be getting rarer (especially the 1.9 with electric hood). Ill have a look on here for a rack.

eck_johnston

Got one on ebay a wee while ago...

I was a bit dubious as it was only £25 or so, but it turned out it was a new/refurbed one, came with new tie-rods, and was good and tight in the right places.

I'm not terribly good with the old spanners but managed to fit it just fine - the haynes manual is perfectly adequate for the job.

asdf205

Thats cheaper then i was expecting. The only one i could find was a Quaife one and that was nearer £100. Ill have a look on ebay and see if there is anything.

harley

I replaced mine last month.

Got the part from panks (a local motorfactor) for £50ish i think. plus they wanted my old rack as part exchange.

Am pleased though as it came with the track rods already attached.

harryskid

Try PARTS GATEWAY.

www.partsgateway.co.uk

Harryskid

Eunosfield

From having a read I'm thinking of having a go at replacing the steering rack on mine, do you think it would be fairly straight forward bearing in mind I have very little mechanical experience?

I'd imagine I'd be looking at doing it from underneath on axle stands.

Mines a 1990 1.6GTI no power steering, does anyone know the range of cars I can pilfer a second hand rack from?