• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
peakrevs

Making And Repairing Body Panels

peakrevs

Apologies if I have posted this under the wrong heading but I thought it might be of interest to people thinking about having a go at bodywork restoration.

At this point I would like to thank you all for receiving me into the Group as I am not a 205 owner in the true sense, more a refugee from the Locosters.

I've just bought the DVD described in this YouTube video link:

and it has been money really well spent. This man is a real craftsman and unlike some, very ready to share his knowledge and skills so that they are not lost forever.

It describes in detail how to make panels and repair bodywork with just hand tools, which, even if we don't have, would be a small investment.

I gave myself several challenges to achieve after I was 60 and metal shaping and gas welding aluminium was one of them. I can recommend it to anyone. It is very enjoyable, creative, rewarding and above all, addictive! Be warned.

I've attached a picture of a bit of bodywork I made just to show that if a geriatric could make that, just think what you could do.

Do buy the video if you have any leanings towards bodywork repair.

JohnMay22009002Small.jpg

hcmini1989

top stuff mate you tried the aluminium welding yet with the torch .what torch are you using if you have one

peakrevs
top stuff mate you tried the aluminium welding yet with the torch .what torch are you using if you have one

Thank you. The panels in the picture are made up from several smaller panels gas welded and then planished and sanded. Each part is formed to sit on a pattern called a buck. I gas weld using oxy-acetylene with a BOC Saffire torch.P2040011Small.jpg

John

peakrevs
Thank you. The panels in the picture are made up from several smaller panels gas welded and then planished and sanded. Each part is formed to sit on a pattern called a buck. I gas weld using oxy-acetylene with a BOC Saffire torch.P2040011Small.jpg

John

Buck built on the chassis

P7040062MediumSmall.jpg

Edited by peakrevs

Tom Fenton

Hats off to you, looks great. About 2 years ago I bought a TIG and taught myself to weld aluminium, so I know how difficult it can be, but also how satisfying it can be.

hcmini1989
Hats off to you, looks great. About 2 years ago I bought a TIG and taught myself to weld aluminium, so I know how difficult it can be, but also how satisfying it can be.

was thinking of getting a tig to do ally but .was told to look at gas welding them but i had to buy a special torch {hence why i asked what torch it was} so is this ally or steel .sorry its hard to tell.

peakrevs
was thinking of getting a tig to do ally but .was told to look at gas welding them but i had to buy a special torch {hence why i asked what torch it was} so is this ally or steel .sorry its hard to tell.

Thank you Tom, you are quite right about the satisfaction and enjoyment. Apart from the sands in the old egg timer running out, retirement is probably the best time of my life; I can do the things I enjoy when I want to and there are no worries about bad payers or where is the next order coming from. Everyday is a day for playing.

hcmini1989 There is nothing special about the welding torch. It's just the Saffire LT lightweight model. The panels are made from 1.5mm thick 1050A pure aluminium and, for that thickness, I use a No.3 nozzle and of course aluminium welding flux.

I do also have AC/DC TIG which I do use on aluminium sometimes. The advantage of gas welding is that it forms a very malleable bead which is easy to planish and the whole area around the joint is fully annealed which is good if further forming is needed. The video also extols the virtues of gas welding aluminium for those reasons. Actually, I find gas welding easier than TIG mainly because I don't have a very steady hand and a 3mm shake can be game over!

John

hcmini1989
Thank you Tom, you are quite right about the satisfaction and enjoyment. Apart from the sands in the old egg timer running out, retirement is probably the best time of my life; I can do the things I enjoy when I want to and there are no worries about bad payers or where is the next order coming from. Everyday is a day for playing.

hcmini1989 There is nothing special about the welding torch. It's just the Saffire LT lightweight model. The panels are made from 1.5mm thick 1050A pure aluminium and, for that thickness, I use a No.3 nozzle and of course aluminium welding flux.

I do also have AC/DC TIG which I do use on aluminium sometimes. The advantage of gas welding is that it forms a very malleable bead which is easy to planish and the whole area around the joint is fully annealed which is good if further forming is needed. The video also extols the virtues of gas welding aluminium for those reasons. Actually, I find gas welding easier than TIG mainly because I don't have a very steady hand and a 3mm shake can be game over!

John

cheers for the advice will try my hands on a torch then and give it ago will probably give the dvd a go aswell