• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mogsman

Spax Psx Kit Springs

mogsman

Hi all, I want to put standard struts back on my 1.6 gti. I a have Spax PSX kit fitted, but the ride after many years is still too harsh even on the softest setting. If I put the spax springs onto standard struts, would the ride still be too harsh. I can't find the spring rates anywhere. I'm tempted to just put standard struts and springs on the front, which I have. The only problem for me would be to raise the rear back up one notch. Is it really a two person job? I have read up on this but none the wiser. Also, how many man hours would it take to raise the rear?

Ian

welshpug

I would imagine the ride would be even worse with the Shorter springs on a standard length damper, the rear really depends how long it has been since it was last rebuilt/adjusted, can take several hours to sort it if it needs a rebuild or as little as an hour or so if everything is nice and free.

mogsman

I think it would be wise to put the standard front end on. It was lowered about six years ago and there are no noises from the beam. If there is anyone on the Island who can raise the rear, please give me a shout.

Ian

mogsman

I've now raised the rear. I used the article from the home page which helped alot. When I first read it it got confusing and it does help to have an extra pair of hands which I didn't. I have looked at changing over the struts at the front for tomorrow. Is it straight forward or should I follow the Haynes joke book, as that says to use spring compressors to remove the strut. I do need to get a 16mm socket later for the hub pinch bolt though. All ideas welcome.

Ian

mogsman

Did some more searching, so I'll be getting some spring compressors probably from Halfrauds.

Ian

Paul_13

There's a Halfords on the Isle of Wight!?

Not bad doing the beam in less than 5 hours if you haven't done it before :ph34r:

mogsman

It took 2 1/2 hours with coffee stops. I have to get the passenger side plate back off to replace the fibre washer that was split. Getting that arm back in on the passenger side was a pain. It didn't want to go back into the beam fully unlike the drivers side. The rear looks more agricultural now, just the fronts left to do.

Ian