• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sam jfm

Stubs Too Short?

sam jfm

OK, the rear stubs on my beam seem to short in that when the hub back plate,hub and washer are on there are only a couple of threads showing - when you tighten it up it strips the nut threads. so i have had the stub out checked it against some others i had hanging around to see if it was the same length (with it being the old type) and it is. so i put it back in making sure it was too the stop. still the same problem.

My next line of thought was " it might be a drum stub" so i went and took the drum and back plate off another beam and its exactly the same!

I bought new nuts off the web, could these be too fat? are the front and rear different thickness's?

If i fit it all together without the washer i can get just enough thread to tighten onto but its still not right.

WTF is going on? :)

welshpug

does the drum sit up against the backplate fine?

sam jfm

Sorted it they are drum stubs! now before you all call me a numpty, the reason i didn't think they were drum stubs was A) the beam came with hubs ;) the other beam that i was sold with hubs attached (and i compared length with) was equipped with drum stubs and some butchered nuts! if only people stopped selling me crap!! :wacko:

Anthony

Do I take it that you're putting a disk braked rear beam together?

Your first post is VERY confusing if that's the case, as certainly I read it as you were putting a drum beam together (and I'm guessing Welshpug did the same judging from his reply) :wacko:

sam jfm

Sorry about that, i was stressed when i wrote it. i was putting what i believed to be a disk beam together but it turned out to be a drum beam. so when i checked stub lengths with my other so called disk beam and they were the same length it resulted in all sorts for confusion!

So it is now sitting on drums!

C_W

My car was converted to discs on an old van drum beam years ago without problems; the stub axles are shorter but the nut tightened up fine (maybe the nut design does affect things, say if the thread doesn't start on the nut straight away). Think it was on the car about 5 years or so before trailing arm went again and I put an original disc beam on it around 2004.