• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
splant

Removing Rear Shocks

splant

haynes says to remove lower bolt 1st then tap out removing hand brake cable if bolt wont go past which it looks like it wont ,,, why cant you remove the top bolts then pull the shocker off the bottom bolt leaving it in situ? also i have no ramps why cant you remove the shocks with it jacked up and the shocks extended and then put new on extended ,, but tighten up when lowered ? cheers

jimistdt

The reason they're so difficult is the rubber is working against you when jacked up and twisted. The trick is to jack the car high enough to put a axle stands at either side of the beam, then use the trolley jack to lift the trailing arm somewhere like level. It should then be a little easier to undo, but you'll still need a breaker bar and a fair weight swing from it. Don't forget your old mate Plusgas, and a wire brush.

You can use the same technique to tighten as well, just ensure the the arm is level.

pablo

the big bolts can be a bollox I ended up needing two new ones.

dont smack them with a hammer to pop them through as youll muller the threads (see above ^^)

happygoron

I had to leave the lower bolts in situ, no hope of moving them. Managed to make a fine mess of the thread on one trying, as described above! Repaired it though.