• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
djinuk

How To Weld My Bucket Seta Bars In Lower (seating Position)

djinuk

ok folks, here is the score..

I want to lower my seating position , im around 5ft 10.

I got a mig welder for xmas and ive had a small play and im thinking about having a shot at remove my original seat mounts and welding a pair of bars in at a lower position.

Is this an easy enough job to take on for my first welding spec job, i really want to give it a shot, just want to know how to go about doing it.

Im most scared about cutting the eghaust tunnel etc, whats the reason for doing this ? do the bucket seats tend to sit to far to the outsides of the car or ?

I plan to mount my passenger seat virtually on the floor, and then the drivers one to suit my own seating position.

EdCherry

I wouldn't even attempt it mate, just for the safety factor.

Tom Fenton

Is it an easy job for your first welding attempt, answer is NO. Its involved, and needs the bulges chopping out of the exhaust tunnel unless you want to sit about 6" over from the steering wheel, with your head against the side window.

Don't be fooled by the "its not pretty but its strong" description of welding, as that is pretty much bollocks. If it looks good then it will be strong, if it looks s*it then it probably is s*it.

Cameron

Yeah, I wouldn't do it. To be brutally frank if you have to ask then you aren't capable of doing the job. Wait until you've had enough practise with your grinder and welder that you can confidently start the job knowing exactly how you're going to finish it.

liamd205
ok folks, here is the score..

I want to lower my seating position , im around 5ft 10.

I got a mig welder for xmas and ive had a small play and im thinking about having a shot at remove my original seat mounts and welding a pair of bars in at a lower position.

Is this an easy enough job to take on for my first welding spec job, i really want to give it a shot, just want to know how to go about doing it.

Im most scared about cutting the eghaust tunnel etc, whats the reason for doing this ? do the bucket seats tend to sit to far to the outsides of the car or ?

I plan to mount my passenger seat virtually on the floor, and then the drivers one to suit my own seating position.

Hi I'm just over 6ft! I have a 205 rally car. I've fitted solid seat mounts for competition use. Even with the interior stripped out it takes a bit of fabrication. Originally seat mount's can be messy to remove alone. I use 2" flat section box steel to make subframes. One end has to be profiled to suit the shape of the tunnel and I usually plate the tunnel and inner sill as well to add more strength. You're welding to very light material and its very easy to burn holes!! If you're not a confident welder leave well alone!!

Edited by liamd205

djinuk

ok folks, thanks for the honest answers. I leave that job to my welder. :lol:

Thanks