• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mudchute

Ride Height Issue

mudchute

Hi all,

Got a bit of an issue with the car, its wonky!

The drivers side front sits high andthe passenger side rear sits low.

Now, I know the chap who had it before me noted that the rear beam had been apart and re-assembled poorly with an even greater difference in ride height between the rear wheels and set about correcting it however its still not right.

I want to tackle this at the same time as lowering it (-30mm Apex front springs) which I've just fitted (the front struts and suspension are all in order, no issues with those) but the back is basically not standard and could be too high or too low so I need to get some idea of what to set it at.

Some one ssuggested for a -30mm stance about (crude I know!) a two finger gap between the top of the rear wheels and the arch (roughly 40mm), sound good?

pablo

just set it to the height you want it at. Its a personal preference imo.

mudchute

Ok, lowered the back end today...

looks awesome but I'll be buggered if I can get the thing level!

I've just about managed to get all 4 corners within 10 - 15mm of eachother.

Raising the n/s/r to put some weight on the o/s/f and therefore level the front out has worked but now the n/s/r has a bigger gap between the wheel and the arch however the car is nearly level at the front and level (!) at the rear tested using my spiffing iPhone spirit level!

I'm certainmy car is wonky!!

Ps, what actually stops the trailing arms from coming out of the axle tube? Not just the torsion bars is it?

welshpug

yup, just the torsion bars, and the dampers.

did you set the trailing arms to the same measurement between the damper bolts? that's the only way to get an accurate ride height side to side IMO :)

Anthony

Set the rear beam up so that it is definately level - ie equal length between shock bolt centers with the car in the air and without the shocks or ARB fitted. You'll want somewhere around 315mm to match 30mm springs on the front with a standard 205 GTi beam.

With that definately correct, drop the car back on the ground with the shocks and ARB not fitted - does it now sit level, or is it still wonky?

If it's still wonky, double check the shock center distance is definately the same on both sides, and that both torsion bars are the same thickness. If they are and the beam is internally in reasonable condition, then it's probably something on the front end that's amiss.

If it's sat level, jack the car back up and refit the ARB, making sure that both ends line up without having to force the trailing arms, and refit the shocks. Lower the car back down, and once again, check that it's still sat level.

If you're just guessing the rear ride height by trail and error and adjusting both sides independantly, you're liable to end up with a car that never sits properly and doesn't handle properly IMO.

mudchute

Sorted! Roll bar in with no preloading, corner heights approx there, car looking sweet!

Cheers for your help chaps!

Just one other wee question though, are the rear wheels supposed to leaning inwards at the top ever so slightly? (really is slight)

Anthony

There is a *small* amount of negative camber as standard, yes.