• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
joe1joe

Handbrake Cables

joe1joe

i have a 309 gti beam on my 205, and when fitting the beam i could not decide wether to go for 205 handbrake cables or 309 handbrake cables....... and now they need replacing as they are split and i can not remember which ones i went for in the end!

i think i put on there the 309 gti ones, can anyone confirm which they have used?

Ryan

You want 205 1.9 cables.

1.6 cables won't fit. 309 will fit, but are too long and hang down too low under the car.

joe1joe

cheers ryan, i will getthem orderd for the week end, not sure if i fancu laying in the snow tho!

joe1joe

well i have put the 205 handbrake cables on and they are a fair bit too short ant dont fit correctly. so i will have to buy another pair of 309 cables.

Tom Fenton

That isn't right. 205 GTI 1.9 cables should be the ones you want. Are you sure you haven't got 205 drum handbrake cables, as these are shorter?

Ryan

I used 205 1.9 cables with my 309 beam and they fit perfectly. Sounds like you've been given the wrong cables.

welshpug

are both too short or just the one? they are handed.

you did also slacken the adjuster off on the handbrake too?

jackherer

If you fit 309 cables people hoot to get your attention in traffic jams then proceed to tell you there are pipes hanging down under your car... This happened so often it got boring, and a customer once phoned me as I was driving out of their car park to tell me the same thing. Also if you have a car full of passengers they drag on the ground and send sparks flying out from under the rear valence.

joe1joe

do the drum brake cables have the springs on them which pushes back the arm on the shoes?? when i orderd them i told gsf i have disc brakes!! (infact they asked me aswell)

and they are usualy pretty good, they are both too short, i have had to cable tie them to the arms (right where the damper bolts on) with the plastic sleeving protector, but i dont

think it will take long to wear threw tho, as they are too short to go on the brackets which hang down.

yeh de-ajusted them so the arms on the calipers are in the coreect place.

welshpug

Doesn't sound like you have the correct cables there, do you still have the packaging?

I'd get them off and measure as well as checking the part number on the packaging if you have it, matches the invoice.

Edited by welshpug