• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Pete Parkin

1.9 Gti Beam

Pete Parkin

Hi all

does anybody know what a fair price is for a used rear beam ?

cheers

zebedy101

It really depends upon the condition of the beam and whether it has been rebuilt recently. I think I paid £150 for my 309 beam complete with disks, pads, calipers and all that needed to fit it apart from the sandwich bushes.

Pete Parkin

dont know if it has been rebuilt i am presuming it will just be a used one

Anthony

Others may disagree, but in my opinion/experience, I'd assume any use 205 beam that has never been rebuilt is effectively scrap, and price accordingly.

This is especially true if the beam is already off the car and if you can't strip it to assess condition prior to buying - with the beam off the car and intact, it is especially difficult to certain of its condition.

Pete Parkin

Thanks for your advice Anthony

will try to offer a cheeky low price

welshpug

I'd agree very strongly with Anthony, I have taken apart a few "low mileage" GWO beams only for them to be well beyond repair, the only parts I used were the Torsion bars and trailing arms, they turned out quite expensive!!

Miles

Ditto, all beams are 20 ish years old now and will need work unless your very very lucky, As said It's worth scrap money even if the arms move on it

grandos

Sorry to hijack the thread , but what sort of cost do all the parts needed to repair a beam into good working order, even if every item that can be worn out is?

welshpug

depends when a crossmember tube is worn, whether you buy a new one or a good donor, anything from £40 upwards parts wise, if the tube is serviceable then it depends on whether you can get Arm shafts somewhere other than Peugeot, otherwise they are about £80 each now, seals and fixings can add up to £50 odd.

Edited by welshpug

grandos

So basically buy a refurbed one as the parts cost along nearly gets to the price that they sell for!

jimistdt

They do come up now and again at good prices on here, I've seen them change hands for £200+ rebuilt, although it is only through the good nature of members that they sell for seemingly 'cost' prices. Often the labour and materials are under estimated when it comes to beams, and I predict the true cost would nod towards a price tag of £380+.

Keep your eyes peeled, there are bargains to be had, also proceed with caution if buying an unseen beam. Seeing is believing.

jord294

there are a few reputable beam builders on here ;)

just check out the 'for sale' section ;)

harryskid

Some prices i have seen vary from about £250 to £300. You have to really look around, i was lucky and picked up one that had been just been serviced. I got it from Fuzznag rally spares, it was complete with discs ect and cost me £150. Like i said you do have to look around as the condition and price of the one i bought to me was a bargain.

Harryskid :P

Miles

Just be Careful, Recon can mean anything from all old parts used to all new one's, Cost wise for a good one I will say is a min of £350.00 exchange

richsmells
Sorry to hijack the thread , but what sort of cost do all the parts needed to repair a beam into good working order, even if every item that can be worn out is?

Welshpug put a parts list together: http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=86395

Anthony kindly built my beam a few years ago. The difference was night and day.

Alastairh

As Jord294, there are a few reputable beam rebuilders on here. If you have a quick search, respected names will crop up. You can get a good deal as mentioned above as many people value there time a lot less than others.

Al

dino20vt
Others may disagree, but in my opinion/experience, I'd assume any use 205 beam that has never been rebuilt is effectively scrap, and price accordingly.

This is especially true if the beam is already off the car and if you can't strip it to assess condition prior to buying - with the beam off the car and intact, it is especially difficult to certain of its condition.

I'd agree very strongly with Anthony, I have taken apart a few "low mileage" GWO beams only for them to be well beyond repair, the only parts I used were the Torsion bars and trailing arms, they turned out quite expensive!!

Ditto, all beams are 20 ish years old now and will need work unless your very very lucky, As said It's worth scrap money even if the arms move on it

Agree with you all, it really winds me up when people on here ask silly money for 309 beams that haven't been inspected let alone rebuilt, just because they're the more desireable 309 parts. £200+ for effectively a beam tube (if you're lucky) two TB's, an ARB and pair of trailing arms with scrap shafts sounds a bit expensive to me!

Edited by dino20vt

shalmaneser
Agree with you all, it really winds me up when people on here ask silly money for 309 beams that haven't been inspected let alone rebuilt, just because they're the more desireable 309 parts. £200+ for effectively a beam tube (if you're lucky) two TB's, an ARB and pair of trailing arms with scrap shafts sounds a bit expensive to me!

It's the price some people are willing to pay unfortunately.

It's a question of biding your time i guess, I managed to pick up a 309 beam for £100 with calipers and discs, I reckon that's fair value, given I expected to replace the shafts and all the bearings/seals. total cost around £250, but it's going to be Minty McMint once I'm finished.