• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
treesimon

Strut Tops

treesimon

Ive notice under my bonnet that my strut top are sitting high between the top mount and the washer/spacer.(see Pic)

Ive got new B4 bilstein dampers coming and got new grp N rubber mounts and bearings

Just wanted to know what causes this to happen and should i repalce any other part?

Also if you look at my ride height at the front once ive fitted the grp N mounts ive heard that they will raise the height by approx 10mm?

How long does that last? do they relax over time sinking down or will i need to get some 20mm lowering springs to bring it back down?

At the moment the ride height is 75mm between the top of the tire (195-50s) see pic.

Just so you know my rear beam is standard height and rebuild july last year.

post-14290-1262792628_thumb.jpg

post-14290-1262792681_thumb.jpg

welshpug

that doesnt look right at all, especially with new rubbers, only thing I can think of is that something is missing from under the rubber donut,

treesimon
that doesnt look right at all, especially with new rubbers, only thing I can think of is that something is missing from under the rubber donut,

No sorry thats it at the moment i havent fitted any new parts yet, im just waiting for the dampers and spring compressors to arrive.

pug_ham

Some space is normal but that does look high for standard rubber, fitting group N top rubber will drop that gap & raise the ride height a few mm, 5mm max imo not 10mm.

Have you rebuilt the strut properly with all the washers etc in the correct order?

Graham.

j_turnell

If that picture is with the group n rubbers fitted then theres deff something wrong. Did you put the thick washer on top of the insert before putting the top mount assembly on???

With the group n mounts this gap should be improved as its the standard soft rubber oe items compressing that creates the gap you have there, so you must have put them together wrong....

Ride height is around 10mm higher with these fitted in my experience, not really an issue if your keeping the car standard, but obviously lowering it with some decent progressive springs such as eibachs would sort that out.

j_turnell

2C50A50A.gif

Hope this helps, but there should also be a thick washer that sits on top of the insert iirc

treesimon

This is going all wrong!

The picture is as it is at the moment no new parts fitted.

So the gap starts/ is like that because the standard rubber are old and compressed making a gap betwwen the spacer and mount plate?

Does the outside pic of the wheel look a normal ride height?

pug_ham
Does the outside pic of the wheel look a normal ride height?

Looks pretty standard to me but I can't remember the last time I saw a standard height 1.9 GTI to compare from memory.

Gaham.

j_turnell

Oh ok, well thats normal for completely buggered rubbers then, you'll find when you fit the group n mounts the gap with be much tighter, as the oe items are very soft so after 100k or so they are pretty tired, so you will get that big gap.

treesimon
Looks pretty standard to me but I can't remember the last time I saw a standard height 1.9 GTI to compare from memory.

Gaham.

Cheers, I think i'd like it slightly lower especially if once ive fitted the new mounts it lifts it up abit (20-30mm)

treesimon
Oh ok, well thats normal for completely buggered rubbers then, you'll find when you fit the group n mounts the gap with be much tighter, as the oe items are very soft so after 100k or so they are pretty tired, so you will get that big gap.

Thanks for the picture,

Should i replace any other parts when i take it apart? Does anything esle usually wear?

peakrevs
Some space is normal but that does look high for standard rubber, fitting group N top rubber will drop that gap & raise the ride height a few mm, 5mm max imo not 10mm.

Have you rebuilt the strut properly with all the washers etc in the correct order?

Graham.

I'll second that. Assembly order is where I'd check first. The exploded diagram shows everything pretty clearly.

peakrevs
I'll second that. Assembly order is where I'd check first. The exploded diagram shows everything pretty clearly.

I've just checked the struts on my car and it looks to me as if the bell attached to the piston rod is upside down.

treesimon
I've just checked the struts on my car and it looks to me as if the bell attached to the piston rod is upside down.

This is still all of the old assy, no new parts fitted.

Surely not looking at it in the pic then the service box pic they are the same + if it was the other way around you wouldnt have any threads to do up the rod nut.

j_turnell
Thanks for the picture,

Should i replace any other parts when i take it apart? Does anything esle usually wear?

Your covering most things with doing the rubbers and bearings, which are the two main items, worth checking your bumpstops, thats if you dont get new ones with your billies, as these are often split or damaged. Also if you fit lowering springs remember to cut them down, otherwise you'll bottom out all the time.

Edited by j_turnell

treesimon
Your covering most things with doing the rubbers and bearings, which are the two main items, worth checking your bumpstops, thats if you dont get new ones with your billies, as these are often split or damaged. Also if you fit lowering springs remember to cut them down, otherwise you'll bottom out all the time.

how much would i cut them down by?

say if the lowering spring were -20mm do i cut the bump stop down by 20mm? Would that be to much?

pug_ham

Some people don't advocate cutting bumpstops just because you've fitted lowering springs unless you also have shortened rods on the shockers because they are more likely to bottom out & blow the shocker if they do.

Graham.

j_turnell

If your only planning on dropping 20mm i would imagine they'd be fine as they are tbh, -35-40mm+ where you could get problems imo.

richsmells

You've seen what mine's like. It did settle eventually when fitted with the hard rubber doughnuts and the gap in the strut top was smaller.

Edited by richsmells

treesimon
You've seen what mine's like. It did settle eventually when fitted with the hard rubber doughnuts and the gap in the strut top was smaller.

Hi Rich

Sorry i couldn't really remember yours, Its just i'm getting ready to sort them out now i wanted to know alittle more info.

How low was yours sat? do you know what size springs it had? I want mine a little lower but not as much as yours was, Thinking about 20-30mm?

What do you think looking at the ride height pic then thinking it will lift roughly 5-10mm with new rubbers? Do i lower alittle?

kilauea

That looks really high. Is it very hard to steer? The struts might not be seated properly.

treesimon
That looks really high. Is it very hard to steer? The struts might not be seated properly.

I wouldnt say its hard to steer, they are completely down in the hubs.

Do you mean the gap between the arches?

I think the top mounts are collasped.

gonna replace them- might drop it 30mm to on springs- see yours is drop 30mm could you put a pic up so that i can compare please.

treesimon
There is a photo here http://www.flickr.com/photos/killauea/2588...57605630076459/

The rear has been raised about 20 mm since then as it was too low. Perfect now but need to take some new pics when this bloody snow has fecked off!

Thanks for that. Looks real nice and clean, can see why you raised the back up abit.

Think i will drop mine about 30mm at the front. Then have to set the rear to match.

What tyres you got? 50/55?

If you could pop on another pic at some point, just noticed it sat on the kurb, dont know if that would affect it or not?

Edited by treesimon

richsmells

I had Skip Brown "roadspeed" springs and hard rubber mounts. Roughly -30mm, but with 1.6 hubs, 15" speedlines, so it didn't end up looking too low. With the 1.9 hubs I think you'd be fine. The springs were ill-suited to the (new OE) dampers though and I was never happy with the ride.

Eibach 7001s are pretty much the daddy to go with your B4s and will provide about a -30mm drop and give a good ride. Miles can supply them.

In the photo above, your's does look high. Almost like a standard 1.6 fitted with speedlines.

Apologies for the crap photo.

post-6172-1262820177_thumb.jpg

Edited by richsmells