• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
treesimon

Strut Tops

treesimon
I had Skip Brown "roadspeed" springs and hard rubber mounts. Roughly -30mm, but with 1.6 hubs, 15" speedlines, so it didn't end up looking too low. With the 1.9 hubs I think you'd be fine. The springs were ill-suited to the (new OE) dampers though and I was never happy with the ride.

Eibach 7001s are pretty much the daddy to go with your B4s and will provide about a -30mm drop and give a good ride. Miles can supply them.

Cheers for that info, everyone seems to rate Eibach's Highly, I'll have to pm Miles about them, ive already inquired with him about suppling and fitting braided brake hoses.

treesimon

Just seen your pic Rich.

That doesnt look as low on the front as i remember it. Maybe im going mad. I might have been thinking of the rear, which looks low.

I dont like the height mines sat at the moment for sure. Looks like a 4x4!

peakrevs
Ive notice under my bonnet that my strut top are sitting high between the top mount and the washer/spacer.(see Pic)

Ive got new B4 bilstein dampers coming and got new grp N rubber mounts and bearings

Just wanted to know what causes this to happen and should i repalce any other part?

Also if you look at my ride height at the front once ive fitted the grp N mounts ive heard that they will raise the height by approx 10mm?

How long does that last? do they relax over time sinking down or will i need to get some 20mm lowering springs to bring it back down?

At the moment the ride height is 75mm between the top of the tire (195-50s) see pic.

Just so you know my rear beam is standard height and rebuild july last year.

peakrevs
I had Skip Brown "roadspeed" springs and hard rubber mounts. Roughly -30mm, but with 1.6 hubs, 15" speedlines, so it didn't end up looking too low. With the 1.9 hubs I think you'd be fine. The springs were ill-suited to the (new OE) dampers though and I was never happy with the ride.

Eibach 7001s are pretty much the daddy to go with your B4s and will provide about a -30mm drop and give a good ride. Miles can supply them.

In the photo above, your's does look high. Almost like a standard 1.6 fitted with speedlines.

Apologies for the crap photo.

post-6172-1262820177_thumb.jpg

I've just had a look at our scrap 205grd and there is a fair gap tooTopmount002.jpg

jimistdt
2C50A50A.gif

Hope this helps, but there should also be a thick washer that sits on top of the insert iirc

Just to confirm, I bought number 2 in the diagram, Part Number 5031.92 for about £54 plus VAT a side and it does come with a thick washer that goes on the top of the insert.

EDIT. Although, I think the ride height looks very high in the pic, almost like a poverty spec would sit, if not higher, but if you rubber has supposedly disintegrated then surely the wheel would sit further in the arch? Something is amiss...

Edited by jimistdt

kilauea
Thanks for that. Looks real nice and clean, can see why you raised the back up abit.

Think i will drop mine about 30mm at the front. Then have to set the rear to match.

What tyres you got? 50/55?

If you could pop on another pic at some point, just noticed it sat on the kurb, dont know if that would affect it or not?

they are 195/50's (Eagle F1's). It is on a kerb there but a very low one and springs are pretty stiff, so that's pretty much it there.

I got skip browns to reset the beam to their recommended height.

Photo's coming after the ice-age...