• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kyepan

Modifying A Xsara Rack To Fit A 205

gowmonster

i've hear about people putting AX racks in 106's, i take it that ax racks don't fit in 205's or are we talking about shorter turn pas racks here?

MrP

So the Xsara vts rack is PAS does this mean it can only be fitted to 205's with PAS?

Anthony
So the Xsara vts rack is PAS does this mean it can only be fitted to 205's with PAS?

No, you could remove the ram and use it as a non-assisted rack much as people comonly do with 205/309 PAS racks.

MrP

Is it worth doing on a non PAS 205 or this going to make the steering even heavier and harder to turn the wheel than it already is.

jackherer
No, you could remove the ram and use it as a non-assisted rack much as people comonly do with 205/309 PAS racks.

I wouldn't advise it though, I've run unassisted 205/309 PAS racks quite happily for years but I very quickly decided the Xsara rack was too much, it was actually slowing me down a lot in tight turns as I wasn't confident in being able to wind lock on fast enough at low speeds.

Baz
i've hear about people putting AX racks in 106's, i take it that ax racks don't fit in 205's or are we talking about shorter turn pas racks here?

They're a fairly different rack, mounted much higher up on the bulkhead rather than subframe 106's etc iirc. So they wouldn't fit 'straight' in a 205.

Edited by Baz

All Praise The GTI

anyone know if the uj off a gti6 is the same square drive as one on xsara rack? just dug my xsara rack out the garage to start looking to fitt to the 205 but cant find the uj column :) ive got a 6 rack but didnt think to cjeck it while up at the garage :)

Paul_13
anyone know if the uj off a gti6 is the same square drive as one on xsara rack? just dug my xsara rack out the garage to start looking to fitt to the 205 but cant find the uj column :( ive got a 6 rack but didnt think to cjeck it while up at the garage :D

I believe they are the same, I had a look at Kyepan's xsara column link and my dturbo link and they looked exactly the same. Can't imagine the 6 link being different

Have you tried the one I gave you Kyepan?

Edited by Paul_13

jorg

Which steering ram are you supposed to use with the VTS rack on a 205? I am still having problems with the VTS ram catching the subframe when putting a left lock on and I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem and how they sorted it.

Is it just a simple case of getting a GTi-6 or 205 ram and swopping them over?

Cheers

jorg

welshpug

I didn't think the ram itself was any different, but the 205 one should bolt straight on from what I've seen of them.

you don't want the 306 gti6 one unless you're running the 6 speed box as this is the part that limits the r/h lock.

to answer Paul_13's question yes most 306 lower columns are the square/d-shape where they clamp onto the pinion.

Cameron

GTi6 rack is about the limit of what I can take unassisted at speed, and way too heavy for parking! :)

Really looking forward to having a VTS rack and PAS now. ;)

welshpug

funny that Cameron, because a gti6 rack is more turns than a 205 pas rack afaik! :)

Cameron

What? Are you sure about that? :)

jackherer

I'm pretty sure the GTI6 rack is less turns than the 205 one. 2.9 vs 3.2 or something. I guess that might just be the lock limiter for the gearbox but that would make them about the same at most.

Cameron, you won't be disappointed with the VTS rack :)

All Praise The GTI

so are we agreeing that if we cant get a uj column to fit its best to shorten the xsara one or is it easier to leave it and just move steering wheel up abit?? will need to sort mine on sunday so need figure out what im going to do so engine can go back in straight away :)

Edited by All Praise The GTI

jackherer
its best to shorten the xsara one or is it easier to leave it and just move steering wheel up abit??

The latter is easier but not much use if you want the dash to look standard.

All Praise The GTI

sorted this earlier i was scratching my head decidind what to do with the xsara rack and decided to change the damaged gaitor. remembered there was an old standard rack i took off a gti month or so back when i broke the tt so thought save going the garage il take a gaitor off that which is when i realised it had a square drive coloumn on it !! :o:D

fitted it and it went straight on and into the car perfect fitt :D

no idea what its from tho. was on a car that had been tt converted.

i will be fitting new tre's when i get some but i didnt swap the arms over. they were a lil longer but couldnt figure out how to remove them as were different on both racks??

when i swap the tre;s if it looks like the arms are too long to be sorted by adjusting the tre's in further i might just cut half an inch off both the arms as the threaded bit is quite long :)

Edited by All Praise The GTI

Paul_13

Just to make this clear:

The linkage you need is a 205 SQUARE Drive PAS Lower Column Linkage, this is a direct fit and will not require modifications.

All praise the Gti has tried and tested this after I found out about this little gem ;)

JRL

wth the help of a friend we fitted an xsara vts rack without pas, I bought off a member on here but he had already modified the uj. I can say it is worth it! steering feels so responsive just how I always imagined a quick rack to perform.

harryskid

Why would the vts rack be better then a 205 quick rack then? :unsure:

jackherer
Why would the vts rack be better then a 205 quick rack then? :unsure:

OEM quality for less money.

All Praise The GTI

actually i think mine came from a non pas 205 rack but il check lol.

it was slightly longer than the normal 205 one but shorter then xsara one but fitts perfect with no mods :unsure:

Gman

wth the help of a friend we fitted an xsara vts rack without pas, I bought off a member on here but he had already modified the uj. I can say it is worth it! steering feels so responsive just how I always imagined a quick rack to perform.

Paul, or anyone else, is there a specific part number for this.

Can I also confirm that this is the only additional part I need to fit a 2.4 rack to my 1992 PAS 205 GTI 1.9? Miles will hopefully be fitting one next weekend, but he is unsure on the part that is needed to avoid the rubber bulkhead seal becoming lose.

Cheers

Miles

The other part you'll need are the track control arms as the Xsara ones are too long, I think some have cut them down but for the sake of £18.00 ish per side not worth it