• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
zebedy101

Succes Then Fail Rear Beam Swapping

zebedy101

afternoon all

i have had a 309 rear beam sitting in my garage for a couple of months now, today i finally got around to looking at whats involved in swapping it over seems fairly simple and straight forward until i noticed that one of the bleed nipples on n/s caliper is snapped clean off leaving my wodering do i need to buy a whole new caliper? or does anyone have any genuis ideas or techniques of how i can remove the nipple?

many thanks, seb

swordfish210

Get a nice bit of heat in to the caliper around the nipple, give it a few taps with a hammer, repeat many times, then use an easy out to remove the snapped nipple.

All Praise The GTI

you not fitted tht yet?! :D

bugger :) thats a PITA im sure they were both ok when you took it,could it have happened in transit? :unsure:

as said try heat and an easy out or i believe jonny found a guy that dipped one in some special stuff then it came out easy?

goodluck and let us know how you get on mate

zebedy101

I havent got round to it yet but now iv started eyeing it up i think i may put it on next weekend possibly. I think i must have accidentally snapped the nipple when i was putting it on the floor i am prone to making silly mistakes :blush:

how is the tt project coming a long?

miamichris

I haven't managed to remove a snapped bleed nipple yet, i've tried though.. :blush: 3 out of 4 calipers on my gti had snapped nipples too! :blush:

its worth having a go but if it doesn't come out or you wreck the caliper it isn't hard to pick up another caliper on here. Thats what I did, just got different calipers and built them up with new seals :angry:

All Praise The GTI

erm... engines are stil sat there :angry:

need to sort them then might sell it as need the cash really :blush:

Atari Boy

I have a set of stud extractors you can borrow Seb or speak to my chap who does something very clever to get broken nipples out - I don't know how though.

pug_ham

You don't need to split the brake lines down to swap the beam on a rear disc set up, there is enough slack once the pipes are all disconnected from the lower shock mounting & arb end plate etc to take the beam off & back on again without it.

Graham.

All Praise The GTI

if going from 1.9 to 309 beam yes graham is right but seb is going from 1.6 to 309 so they need to be swapped i think

sub205

why not unbolt the brake calipers and just change the rear beam?

then you don't need to bleed the brakecircuit.

Edited by sub205

pug_ham
why not unbolt the brake calipers and just change the rear beam?

then you don't need to bleed the brakecircuit.

I figure from Nath's reply the op is swapping from drum to disc brakes on the 309 beam.

Graham.

zebedy101

Yep I am going from drums to disk's it was a good start discovering the braided lines, just a shame about the nipple. Many drilling it out an re-tapping the hole would work?

I'm really looking forward to getting the beam fitted though and seeing for myself how much it changes the handling and feel of the car. When I get round to having a go at fitting It all I need to change is the bushes isnt it? I'm going to run the standard 1.6 single compensator and see how it feels then work from there.

Thanks for all the replys. Seb

pug_ham

I've never had any success with using screw extractors on Bendix calipers, I think thats down to the dis-similar metal reaction rather than just simple rusting together due to lack of use.

Some people have but I'm not one of them along with Miamichris.

Last time I replaced the body for ~£40 & it was worth it for the lack of any hassle trying to get the old bleed nipple out.

Graham.

Carl Chambers

bring it to me and I sort it for you! :)

Atari Boy

I could deliver it to Carlos next week Seb all being well.

Edited by Atari Boy

zebedy101

Thank you very much for the offer carl and thank you for the delivery offer Jonny I shall take you both up on that please :lol: I bet you are missing having my 205 cluttering up your workspace carl?

I will text you tommorow and we shall arrange something if you like. I may also need a small hand fitting the rear beam if you have a free Saturday coming up? :unsure: Lets hope that doesn't turn as nasty as the damn wishbone bushes.