• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
djinuk

What To Use To Heat Torsion Bars

djinuk

ok folks, just started lowering torsion bars etc, however ive heard many people say, "heat them up" question is what with ? i imagine that a small £8 hobby burner from halfords wont do the job, where as not many people can get hold of a oxycetelene burner.

so what do i use ?

Baz

Blow torch?

welshpug

never used heat, persistence with the penetrating oil and brute force has worked fine B)

Baz

You've never done Xsara beams then!! B)

oz.
never used heat, persistence with the penetrating oil and brute force has worked fine :)

Brute force = sledge hammer at one point. That was funnn B)

Tom Fenton

Interesting you say that, I've also found Xsara beams the most difficult to get apart.

welshpug

don't 9-13 year old 306's that have never been touched count? :P

no, haven't done a xsara yet, probably wont what with the rate you and Anthony seem to be culling them :)

have noticed a definite trend where the r/h end of the r/h torsion bar is invariably seized and entails pulling the arm off with torsion bar attached then using a decent sized lump/sledge hammer on it, short bolt screwed into the end to save the torsion bar itself, few swift blows and out it comes.

as well as the r/h side being far worse off bearing wise than the left.

Edited by welshpug

Baz

That's the usual tool! Anthony wielding my 14lb sledge is a funny sight...

As when he misses, the sledge, with him still attached if he holds on, ends up on the other side of the yard!! B)

Baz
Interesting you say that, I've also found Xsara beams the most difficult to get apart.

That's what Anthony's always said, it seems they were never greased when assembled or something... :)

The one we took apart a few days before christmas was a pig, even with heat, aforementioned sledgehammer etc etc, and previous to that all the usual didn't move the bars, but it loosened the cast part that the mounts mount to, off the beam tube itself instead!! B)

In the end, we resorted to cutting into the splined cast part where the end of the TB sits to try and relieve them, this helped aswel as alot of heat, then freezing it with snow immediately after, and alot of sledgehammer action again eventually got them free!

Tbh we didn't even dare trying one of your pullers on it... :P

taylorspug

Complete lack of grease is the thing ive found too. Took me ages to get a ZX one apart the other week, i had to leave it in the scrap yard soaking in WD40!

j_turnell

Also found this with both zx and xsara beams, just require more brute force thats all! I tend to take the whole beam if there being really stubborn then belt the crap out of it back home.