• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rallyvan

Brake Set-up

Rallyvan

My gti brakes are shot and was just wondering what kind of set ups i can use? wot works with wot? Don't want to spend big money and want it to be a direct replacement, any help apprecticated. Cheers

swordfish210

Some 306 XSI brakes are a good upgrade. I bought some good calipers, new discs and pads and a 405 22.2mm master cylinder for less than £80 and they work a damn site better than my old 1.6 GTI brakes despite me having Pagid RS4-2 pads on the old brakes and just some cheapo budget pads on the new brakes.

shalmaneser
My gti brakes are shot and was just wondering what kind of set ups i can use? wot works with wot? Don't want to spend big money and want it to be a direct replacement, any help apprecticated. Cheers

Could you just confirm the vehicle you're wanting to fit new brakes too? You seem to have a base model 1.8d van, is this correct?

pug_ham
My gti brakes are shot and was just wondering what kind of set ups i can use?

Care to elaborate on what you have fitted now & what you mean by shot?

Good condition standard calipers (Bendix (1.6) or Girling1.9)) with decent quality discs, pads & fuild should be plenty for a road based car that doesn't see lots of track action imo.

Graham.

Rallyvan

Yep it is a 1.8d van but now has a 306 td engine, what i mean by the brakes are shot is that all the disks have pitted, and have uneven wear, so rather than jst changing the disks i though why not change the whole lot

j_turnell

Does it have vented or solid disks? not to familiar with the van setup.

pug_ham

As standard the van will probably have solid discs (all n/a diesel 205's have afaik) so the only upgrade route I'd follow would be to fit some 1.9 GTI vented discs & source some either 1.6 GTI bendix calipers or 1.9 Girling calipers (+pads & mounting bolts).

Graham.