• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
24seven

306 Dampers

24seven

Do these offer any sort of OEM quality "upgrade" on a 205, particularly when lowered? Just the dampers, not the springs as well. Naturally with the 306 being a bigger heavier car I'd expect them to be a little slower, but is it worthwhile at all?

Edited by 24seven

EdCherry

Slower?

My dampers are faster than yours!

Rippthrough

Well, they will slow the suspension down more, so sorta right...

And my dampers are faster than yours!

welshpug

rears (5206 K6) are the same as a 1.9 gti, may not have been originally but that's what is listed for them now.

Craigb
Well, they will slow the suspension down more, so sorta right...

and if they are billies rasie the ride height slightly

Rippthrough
and if they are billies rasie the ride height slightly

And if they're Foxes they raise it even more :ph34r:

24seven

What about the front ones? do they fit on a 205?

24seven

Another question, what are the width/TB's of 309 non GTi drum beams like compared to the 205 1.6 drum beam? I'd go for a GTi beam, but I park on hills a lot and need my handbrake, plus with the weight stripped from the car the rear brakes don't need to do so much anyway, and drums are more than adequate.

pug_ham
Another question, what are the width/TB's of 309 non GTi drum beams like compared to the 205 1.6 drum beam?

Same width as 309 GTI TB's but slightly thinner, depending on whioch 309 model you got them from for what thickness they are but according to service box they vary from 18.4mm to 19.3mm which I assume would be on the SRI/ GRi / XSi / GRDT beam.

Graham.

24seven

Hmm, ok. Cheers for that :). Might try and build myself a wide drum beam with GTi TB's then if I can. Chances are I'll just be lazy and put a disc beam on it though!

pug_ham

If you have a good 309 GTI beam & your current rear drums are good then you can swap them across to the 309 radius arms without splitting the brake lines down easily enough but remember to be careful drifting the stub axles out from each beam so you don't damage the ends & make them scrap.

You'll be fine with drum brakes & the GTI TB's though.

Graham.

24seven

Ahh ok, that sounds a lot easier. Thanks Graham :).

happygoron
What about the front ones? do they fit on a 205?

From what I've read (so not 100%) they do but the fittings for the droplinks are different.

j_turnell

The front fit fine, the only issue is if your running the thicker OE droplinks, they can foul on the hub, however the thinner aftermarket droplinks clear just fine, im running this setup with no problems.

24seven

do you need 306 or 205 droplinks, or are they both the same anyway?

welshpug

205, the holes are 90 degrees out on the 306 to a 306 arb

j_turnell

Heres a recent topic on the subject http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...p;hl=\drop Notice the difference between oe and aftermarket droplinks, the position on the strut is different on 306 dampers, hence the issue with the hub, but with the thinner 205 droplinks this isnt an problem.

Edited by j_turnell

SweetBadger
Heres a recent topic on the subject http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...p;hl=\drop Notice the difference between oe and aftermarket droplinks, the position on the strut is different on 306 dampers, hence the issue with the hub, but with the thinner 205 droplinks this isnt an problem.

Yep, just to add that I've been running with the 306 dampers with no issues since I fitted the aftermarket drop links. Although I still think it's riding higher than it used to - will be looking to fit some -20mm lowering springs when the weather's not so bloody baltic!