• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Galifrey

Hubs/driveshafts Gti-6

Galifrey

So having just killed my driveshaft, I am considering what route to go with my car, have done some searches which bring up all manner of options and combos.

What is involved with fitting GTI-6 Hubs and Driveshafts?

I like the idea of the 306 hubs, I have some 15 inch goodwoods I can use, so that will give me more brake options (not to mention tyre options).

I assume the 306 shafts are too long as standard, so will need shortening? Colin Satchell does this I believe?

Anyone done this combo successfully?

pug_ham

GTI-6 hubs (of the right age ie: 16mm balljoint) will fit straight onto 1.9 GTi driveshafts & wishbones but some people report that even when running 309 wishbones it returns to near standard camber so with 205 wishbones could create positive camber afaik.

To use 306 shafts will mean custom made ones shortened to suit.

Saying that the righthand intermediate shaft is the same on most XU engines with just the outer shaft being different lengths afaik.

You don't get anymore brake options over a 1.9 GTI hub though btw.

Graham.

Galifrey
GTI-6 hubs (of the right age ie: 16mm balljoint) will fit straight onto 1.9 GTi driveshafts & wishbones but some people report that even when running 309 wishbones it returns to near standard camber so with 205 wishbones could create positive camber afaik.

To use 306 shafts will mean custom made ones shortened to suit.

Saying that the righthand intermediate shaft is the same on most XU engines with just the outer shaft being different lengths afaik.

You don't get anymore brake options over a 1.9 GTI hub though btw.

Graham.

Thanks G, I meant the 15 inch wheels will give more brake options.

If I stick with 1.9 hubs (and maybe 309 wishbones) what are the best shafts to use for a GTI6 Engine? I have read some horror stories now about driveshafts not lasting long, so would really want to ensure I am not knocking out CV joints every few hundred miles.

pug_ham

Sorry for the late reply but imo any good quality standard driveshaft should be up to handling the GTI-6 as long as you don't give it hell with lots of lock on frequently. (309 shafts especially though if you use 309 wishbones).

Thats what will break driveshafts worst, I know of people snapping 1.6 shafts on a tired standard 1.6 engine doing this repeatedly.

Graham.

shalmaneser

Basically your best bet is 1.9 hubs with 1.9 driveshafts if running 205 bones, or 309 driveshafts if running 309 bones.

Does anyone know which makes are the best ones to go for when it eventually comes to replacement?

Galifrey
Basically your best bet is 1.9 hubs with 1.9 driveshafts if running 205 bones, or 309 driveshafts if running 309 bones.

Does anyone know which makes are the best ones to go for when it eventually comes to replacement?

Decided against 1.9 hubs as lose front track and have to fit heavier 1.9 brakes.

Am still running 1.6 shafts, but with a 24k mile 24 month warranty :ph34r:

Jamal

Graham.

Is possible to swap this shaft to the 205 one? If yes, the GTi6 inner and outer joints can be used.

Just an idea, on a 2.0 605 driveshaft I was able to do it.

Baz

GKN seem to be the better rated.

Is possible to swap this shaft to the 205 one? If yes, the GTi6 inner and outer joints can be used.

Just an idea, on a 2.0 605 driveshaft I was able to do it.

Not totally sure what you mean. If you mean swap the shaft itself to use the GTi6 ends, then i would've thought you could yes, probably. I don't see the point though. The outer ends fit 1.9 hubs anyway...

Edited by Baz

Jamal

Not totally sure what you mean. If you mean swap the shaft itself to use the GTi6 ends, then i would've thought you could yes, probably. I don't see the point though. The outer ends fit 1.9 hubs anyway...

I dont know the GTi6 driveshafts, but i tought it stronger than 205. Talking about the inner and outer joints. If I'm right and can be changed to the shorter 205 shaft You can get a stronger easy usable driveshaft.

Miles

Not at all, where this idea has come from is when people use the Late BE3 box as the diff is different, so instead of changing the diff for the Early BE1/3 diff people bodge the inner N/S cup from any late 05/06 car

Galifrey

Miles fitted me one GKN and we decided to try one Shaftech as it has the 24k mile/24 month warranty (the GKN was out of stock).

Will be interesting to see how they cope comparatively <sp>

Jamal

Graham.

Hi, so the 306 hubs have got different camber? I want to use an ABS from a 306. If I want to maintain the standard wheel settings I have to use the 205 ABS hubs?

pug_ham
Hi, so the 306 hubs have got different camber? I want to use an ABS from a 306. If I want to maintain the standard wheel settings I have to use the 205 ABS hubs?

Yes, 306 hubs give different camber when fitted to a 205 with standard wishbones & to fit ABS with the correct 205 camber you'll have to use some 205 ABS hubs imo.

Graham.

Jamal
Yes, 306 hubs give different camber when fitted to a 205 with standard wishbones & to fit ABS with the correct 205 camber you'll have to use some 205 ABS hubs imo.

Graham.

Thanks for the fast reply! I want tu use the four chanel 306 ABS. I have got disc brakes at the end. Can I just put on the 306's ABS hubs or Do I need the 306-s axles too?

The plate with the sensor is an easy on, I know.

Paul_13

I wouldn't use the 306 hubs personally.

If you have the 1.9 hub next to the 306 hubs, the bit where the hub clamps onto the strut is alot deeper on the 205 than the 306.

In other words I think (maybe wrong) that the 205 hubs will not oval as easy as the 306 hubs, the 306 hubs seem to only have about a 1/4 of the area that the 205 hub has to clamp the strut.

Jamal
I wouldn't use the 306 hubs personally.

If you have the 1.9 hub next to the 306 hubs, the bit where the hub clamps onto the strut is alot deeper on the 205 than the 306.

In other words I think (maybe wrong) that the 205 hubs will not oval as easy as the 306 hubs, the 306 hubs seem to only have about a 1/4 of the area that the 205 hub has to clamp the strut.

I will use the 205 front ABS hubs and the 306 rear ABS hubs if possible.

How can I recognise the 205 and 306 hubs? I found a pair of ABS front hubs. The guy says that the hubs are from a 205, but i dont know.

So just measure the top of the hub, that clamps onto the strut?

Edited by Jamal

Paul_13

No need to measure it you will see it by eye, it almost looks like the 306 hub is hollowed out compared to the 205 hub.

I've got some 306 hubs lying around, i'll try and get some pictures tomorrow when I get back from work.

I may have a 205 ABS hub lying abouts, I think the 306 hub has clamp(things) for the brake line and the 205 ABS hubs do not.

Edited by paul_xiii

Jamal
No need to measure it you will see it by eye, it almost looks like the 306 hub is hollowed out compared to the 205 hub.

I've got some 306 hubs lying around, i'll try and get some pictures tomorrow when I get back from work.

I may have a 205 ABS hub lying abouts, I think the 306 hub has clamp(things) for the brake line and the 205 ABS hubs do not.

Ok thanks for the pics!

petert

I bought a new "Spicer" driveshaft for a job. I pulled it apart for a look see. It's a completely different design to the OEM shafts and even has a staked nut, despite being 1.9L size. Time will tell how good it is.