• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sam jfm

Rear Ride Height

sam jfm

can someone give me a ride height they would recommend for the rear of my tarmac rally car? if poss the distance between the two shock mounting points as i have one of those ride height setting tool things :lol:

Anthony
if poss the distance between the two shock mounting points as i have one of those ride height setting tool things :lol:

What torsion bars are you running, as that dramatically changes the required shock-shock distance required for a given ride height?

Craigb

Peugeot build suggests 312mm for Tar

sam jfm

22mm bars and 24mm arb. btw how do i find out which way they go in? they have no stripes on them, but one end is stepped and the other has a champher on it?

Anthony

For 22mm bars, I'd start somewhere around the 295-300mm mark between shock centers and see how that sits :lol:

sam jfm

Any idea about which way the bars go?

philfingers

they will be marked 'i think' 2 marks is LHS and 1 mark is RHS but do a search. They'll only go in one way. Give all the groves a good clean out and liberal coat of grease. When fitting keep rotating one spline at a time until they just slot home. there's no such thing as 'lower one spline' as they have different numbers of splines at each end, so its a bit like an old fashioned vernier (not a digital one!). Between the inner part of the seal and the seal cup/top hat thing you should use a feeler gauge set at 0.5mm from memory. look on the main site for the rebuild guide. Set up properly pays dividends.. . . .

pug_ham

They will only fit one way, there are different number of splines each end (30 & 32 or 28 & 30 if you've got really early bars / beam) & these splines are different sizes.

Graham.

sam jfm

right ok cheers, so it makes no difference which one goes front or back?

Anthony
right ok cheers, so it makes no difference which one goes front or back?

Most aftermarket torsion bars are not handed, so it doesn't matter.

If they are handed like the original torsion bars, then the single stripe goes on the drivers side (nearest fuel tank) and the double stripe on the passengers side (towards rear of car)

sam jfm

they are pts bars for the old type beam but are missing stripes well i cant see them, will it matter?

philfingers

the only thing is that if they have been used they develope a 'set'. Basically they twist slightly with use. If you put them in the wrong way around they will twist back to zero (if you can think of it that way) and then back the other way. In basic terms this means that it will be sitting on it's ar$e very quickly and you'd end up have to set the ride height again. If you put them in the right way then they should be ok. Whether they came from the factory pre-twisted I'm not sure

Phil

Chris H

I'm running a 309 beam with 21.5mm torsion bars (309 pts gravel) on my 205 aand i originally set my dummy shock to 300mm but found it too low, its now set at 310mm and is a much better ride height,

de Noir
Most aftermarket torsion bars are not handed, so it doesn't matter.

If they are handed like the original torsion bars, then the single stripe goes on the drivers side (nearest fuel tank) and the double stripe on the passengers side (towards rear of car)

What happens if you install TBs 'wrong' way?

Is there any other mean to tell witch is witch, when markings are lost?

sam jfm
:wacko: ok so the arm is scrap!!!!!! anyone know where i can get the old type arms from? cheers