• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MikeM

309 Basemodel Wishbones

MikeM

Hi all, just wondering if anybody here could help me out. Ive tried a search as I am sure this has been covered before but couldnt find anything.

Im planning on fitting new 309 basemodel wishbones to my xs with the polybushes off the 205 bones as part of the winter work whilst its of the road.

Will I also need to get a 309 arb? Will this have a similar effect (camber/wider track) as fitting 309 bones to a gti? I have also heard that I should be able to get away with the 205 driveshafts is true?

Got quite a bit of work planned for the car over winter so I will make an effort to start a thread on it when Im next home.

Cheers Mike

Henry Yorke

yes you will need a base model (I think) driveshaft for a proper fitment. I have heard of people shimming 205 shafts before though.

Sandy

The ARBs are the same width, the extra length is beyond the ARB.

AdamP

I've used 205 shafts with 309 bones with no ill effects, however it doesnt do many miles...

MikeM

Thanks for your replies, looks like the 309 at the local scrappers will be getting robbed of its driveshafts soon then! Will I have any issues with the wheels protruding the arches? The car has S1 106 rallye wheels

cheers

johnnyboy666

mine used to have 309 tca's and with speedlines on the wheels poked out about an inch or so past the arch. that did have 1.6 hubs tho so was a little wider anyway

foreigner

I am not sure if I understand this correctly.

you got XS which got arms with arb connected to them ? right or wrong?

MikeM
I am not sure if I understand this correctly.

you got XS which got arms with arb connected to them ? right or wrong?

Yes ,the wishbones have the arb connected to them.

Jer309GTi

Is the 309 base model ARB any thicker than a 205 base model ARB does anyone know?

joe1joe

i used to have the xs track control arms and i disnt realy like them a few people like them, but i went for the gti subframe and 309 arms and used my stander shaft on my xs, thinks theres only 10mm in the drive shaft lenghts

pug_ham
Is the 309 base model ARB any thicker than a 205 base model ARB does anyone know?

Accrding to Stu's site they were the same;

http://www.stuartmcguire.co.uk/pug/GB/205N/5/50C01A.HTM

http://www.stuartmcguire.co.uk/pug/GB/309F/5/50C01A.HTM

• 5081 55 F/ANTI-ROLL BAR DIA 20
  • 5081 56 DIA 22
  • 5081 57DIA 23

Graham.

RossD

Yep, diesels used 23mm, most petrols used 22mm and the "sporty" base models, i.e XS, GT etc used the 20mm front anti roll bars. I'm sure somebody may find this useless peice of information useful :D