• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dave G

Changing Steering Rack

Dave G

got to change my steering rack on my non pas 1.9. just wondring wat they are like to do. is it a subframe down etc, how well do the come of nd g on the collum etc.

mine has hord stiff at part of the lock but its never the same part continousl although there n play. anyone else has this

swordfish210

You can do it with the subframe on, getting the pinion to seperate with the colum is the hard part, at least it was when i removed my rack.

hengti

i think they're fairly easy to do, although need to be sure you get a rack with the right pinion (square vs. splined)

lagonda

If it's the square pinion, all you need to do is undo the column UJ bolt & prise the teeth of the spring security clip apart with your fingers a you pull that section of the column away from the pinion shaft. Just 2 bolts holding the rack on, plus of course TREs to release, & possibly a heat shield held on with a spring clipo. Worst part is fiddling the rack through the gap between the subframe & car body...it looks impossible but it does go through.

BUT! Before you do all that, you might well find the occasional tightness is in fact due to a rusted/seized/partially seized joint in the column lower UJ, & nothing to do with the rack! I speak from experience!

hengti

didn't register the last sentence in the OP for some reason:blush:. agree with Lagonda that that's more likely to be the lower column UJ. they were about £60 new from Peugeot; or secondhand; don't think you can get pattern ones. you need to remove the column to fit it, but that's not all that involved either

pug_ham

Easy job, under two hours work imo even if you aren't overly handy with the spanners.

You only need to fully unbolt the uj on the rack, the one inside the car just needs loosening & teh lower column will slide far enough up inside the main column to detach from the rack.

Two track rod ends, heat sheild screw & clip & two main bolts through the subframe, once all these are undone / removed it'll slide out through either side.

Check it is the rack though. my old STDT had a similar problem & it was the lower column intermediate shaft (one that runs from the main column out to the rack) which was causing it. The uj on this part was seizing up.

Graham.