• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest fakenathan

Severly Rubbing The Arches!

Guest fakenathan

Hi, been reading through the forum for a few weeks since i got my first 205, gaining valuable info which has been a great help. However i can't figure (using old threads) how would be best to sort my problem.

Although I'm new to the forum, my car is not....1993 Dturbo with 1.9 gti engine, 309 wishbones and 1.6 gti rear beam lowered (no idea how much, but there is no air gap at the rear, and about 1cm between front wheels and arches) on 1.9 speedlines.

The car is fine when driven normally, with up to two people in it, but under enthusiastic driving on roads with lots of crests and dips, and fast corners with even slight dips in the surface, the rear tyres rub massively. The front rubs occasionally, but thats expected with the wider 309 track and the ride height. The rear doesnt look like it would rub on the outer arch, and feels like it has a fair bit of travel before it rubs, so basically just feels far too soft.

I don't really want to not drive it fast on deserted country roads, as im already having to take it easy on the especially lumpy dips of roads in the yorkshire dales, to limit the rubbing. But then i also dont want to spend very much on the car, and i like the current ride height! Unfortunately i need a compromise, as its limiting the fun of the car.

Also with 3 people in the car including myself, the rear can rub under normal driving.

I don't know whether this would be normal for a (somewhat unique) 205 this low, or whether some part of the rear suspension is dying....but to me it just feels soft, and if this is the case what would be the best way to at least make it better, on a budget, keeping the ride height the same?

Thanks

shalmaneser

I know that 'standard' shells have different rear arches to GTI shells. Don't know in what respect however, might workout to be cheaper to reshell!

You can buy a knackered GTI with a solid shell for a pittance.

one-lady-owner

Sounds like your rear bump stops are missing, and that mixed with the lowered beam results in rubbing, I've got one missing rear bump stop and standard ride height, get the back seat full of people and the noise isn't a nice one!!!

Guest fakenathan
Sounds like your rear bump stops are missing, and that mixed with the lowered beam results in rubbing, I've got one missing rear bump stop and standard ride height, get the back seat full of people and the noise isn't a nice one!!!

Hi, thanks for the reply! Ive read about it possibly being the bump stops. If it did have them, would it feel like the suspension had ran out of travel when it hit them....with a bit of a bang?

I guess if i jack the car up i'll be able to tell, but what am i looking for?

CosKev

As above,chack if you have got bumpstops fitted,makes a massive difference.

Also have you got 195/50 tyres on the speedlines??????They catch on alot of cars,as standard should be 185/55's :)

Guest fakenathan

they are 195's, have to see in the morning if they are 50's. No bump stops wouldnt make it feek soft though would it? Just limit the rubbing?

CosKev
Hi, thanks for the reply! Ive read about it possibly being the bump stops. If it did have them, would it feel like the suspension had ran out of travel when it hit them....with a bit of a bang?

Shouldn't be a bang really,cause they are rubber.Rear of car feels like its bouncing when on bump stops.

This is what to look for,the rubber pointed thing in top left of pic:

100_4592.jpg

It pushes into a round metal cup that is bolted to chassis :)

one-lady-owner

That's exactly what it feels like, bit of a bang and a very unpleasant scrapping noise. Basically the bump stops look like big blocks of rubber that start cylindrical then go to a point.... probably not the best description in the world sop here's a pic of the poly versions:

bs007.jpg

EDIT: Beaten to it and with a better pic!!!

Edited by one-lady-owner

GLPoomobile

IMO - lack of suspension travel (too low) coupled with missing bump stops on the back. You need bump stops to stop the wheels rubbing, but if it's very low it's going to be bouncing off the bump stops. So you'll stop it rubbing but it'll probably still handle like cack.

Having 309 'bones shouldn't make it more inclined to rub at the front. I'd have thought the opposite. Yeah, the track is a bit wider, but due to the negative camber the top of the tyres should be leaning in a little, so I'd expect it to be less inclined to rub.

jimistdt

Sounds to me like it's a little too low, the DTurbo didn't have the GTi arches did it? Therefore I think combined with the lowered height that is the problem.

The bumpstops are fixed to the under side of the car and are black rubber cones. You will be able to see if they are there by sticking your head and looking up from under the boot area.

Guest fakenathan

Thats brilliant cheers, i know what to look for now. Ive looked into the drivers side rear arch when jacked up (looking for a possible hole in the fuel filler neck pipe) and didnt see anything that looked like that. I take it they can fall out from time to time?

one-lady-owner

The holders are terrible for rusting and falling off....

allye

I have this same problem with S2 106rallye wheels on my rallye, Its standard ride hieght on standard shocks. Soon I will be getting 1.9 torsion bars and much better dampers, hopefully this will solve it for me.

I get it with two people in the back, also I have both my bump stops in place!!!

Ali