• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
allye

Wheels, Rear Beams Dampers And Scrubbing!

allye

Hi,

Couple of weeks ago got some S2 106 Rallye steel wheels on my 205 Rallye, they look great and handle great! However last night I have 4 people in the car for the first time and under hard cornering got a small amount of scrubbing :) . I have a 309 beam that was waiting to go on but thats not going to happen now!

So my question is if I get a 205 1.9 GTI beam thats has thicker torsion bars than my Standard Rallye beam and get some decent dampers in it will it stop the scrubbing on my new 6inch wide wheels!?

Thanks a lot, Ali

chris-stdt

Your best bet to stop them catching on the inner arches would be the 309 beam or some wheel spacers fitted to your exixting beam

allye

The 309 beam isn't on yet, you think its scrubbing on the inside? I had a quick look but couldn't see where it was scrubbing.

Cheers, Ali

Tom Fenton

Have a look and establish where its scrubbing first off.

allye

Will do, I am driving to the don tonight (Swindon) with some mates so will throw it into some corners to try and get some marks down!! haha, is there a solution? I'm not going back to the bicycle like standard wheels!

Cheers, Aliw

Tom Fenton

Once you have worked out where it scrubs you can decide what to do. If its inner arch then its a beam/stub axle/wheel bearing problem that needs sorting regardless. If its bottoming then it could well be that the bump stop has dropped off, again that needs sorting.

allye

Nice one, will be getting a GTI beam soon any way. GTI beams are the same width as standard rallye ones arnt they?

Its a 1992 103,000 mile car so the beam could well be buggered!

Ali

Anthony

Remember that Rallye (and other base model) arches are different to GTi ones, and whilst I'm not sure about 14 x 6 Rallye steelies, I know that they can scrub with 15 x 6 GTi alloys and the usual 195/50R15 tyres when you've lowered the car or got excessive weight in the back.

As said though, first things first, see where it's rubbing and work from there.

allye

I know that about the arches but have seen other people put these wheels on rallyes, this makes me want to strip it out and put a couple of buckets in it, that will avoid scrubbing!

Cameron

My guess is it's scrubbing on the outer arches, so fitting a wider beam will only make things worse. Standard 205 rear track is fine, you don't really need (or notice) the extra track from a 309 beam. At least not for a fast road / track day car.

Tom Fenton

Nearly every 205 I've worked on seems to have at least 1 rear bumpstop missing. Check this first.

allye
Nearly every 205 I've worked on seems to have at least 1 rear bumpstop missing. Check this first.

Will do tomorrow. Thanks

Cameron

Mine has both missing and used to scrub on the top of the inner arch.. 24mm TB's sorted it. ^_^

allye

24mm! I think I'v sorted a 1.9gti rear beam to swop for my 309 one, however its in bits so will be putting new bearing on and give it a lick of paint! Is it worth putting some thick TB's bars on whilst I'm there?

Cheers, Ali

Anthony
Is it worth putting some thick TB's bars on whilst I'm there?

Depends what you're planning on running on the front really, as there's little point putting significantly thicker bars on the rear if you're just running standard lowering springs on the front (same goes vice-versa too - no point a really stiff front and a standard rear).

allye

its going on spax front shocks with -30mm springs, I have some bilstein dampers to go on which ever beam I use as well.

Ali

allye

Checked today, finally had the car on the ramp to do the front shocks. Both bump stops are in place, leading me to think the beam is a little tired. I have a 1.9 gti beam in bits which i will be stealing the torsion bars and anti roll bar bit from, along with some half decent dampers hopefully this will cure it?????? Its standard ride hieght.

Cheers, Ali