• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
CHRISWB

205 Gti Pulling All Over The Road When Accelerating.

CHRISWB

Hi

l am new to this, but here goes, l have owned my 205 gti since feb this year but have never had it on the road as l have been doing all the work on the engine, and getting it painted. But now l have put it on the road l have been having some problems with it pulling to the left when accelerating then when you let off it pulls to the right. l have checked all the bushes and have tracked it up and its still the same.

Has anybody else had this problem before, or has anybody got any idea what it maybe?

thanks chris

Baz

Wishbone inner bushes or ovalised hubs (wishbone ball-joint pin holes).

CHRISWB

wouldnt there be any play if the hub was ovaised?

Tom Fenton

Also check the rear beam for play in the trailing arms.

CHRISWB

theres no play on rear beam. but would that through the front out?

Tom Fenton

It can make the car weave about under acceleration yes.

I'd double check your wishbones and hubs as Baz says. These are the only things that can really cause the weaving, its a common problem on 205's.

M@tt

as the others have said, more than likley the wishbones but might be worht a quick check of the rear beam sandwich mounts as well. They can fall apart over time

nige_gti

I had exactly the same problem with mine.

It was the front passengers side wishbone, solve dthe problem straight away.

BusEngineer

Ditto

Wishbones on mine

kyepan

also check tyre pressures, it has done this when mine were out on one side.

wishbones can look fine, and not move even under duress with a crowbar..

but on the road be all over the place.

check the bolts are all to the correct torque first... then as everyone has previously said..

ps have been through 3 sets of bushes including poly (*spits)... pug OEM are the way forward.

brumster

I have the same issue with lower arm bushes. A good friend gets through a front pair every 3 events (tarmac rallying), when I told him how many years old mine were he laughed.

When you go on the power, the front geometry effectively toes-in (the wheels pulls themselves in at the front under power) and apparently with my new torquier engine it's almost definately emphasising the problem I currently have with worn bushes - hence why new ones are going in this friday!!

So just re-echoing all of what's been said really - not constructive, I know, but a bit of supporting commentary nonetheless :)

McDude

I'll join the bandwagon and say bushes! I too suffered from wandering under acceleration and also bad tramlining.

I've got a full set of genuine bushes if you want to buy them - I got them but then bought Motaquip 'bones which are the genuine PSA parts. While I'd like to sell you my bushes, I'd actually recomend just changing the whole wishbone as chances are your balljoint is FUBARed too. Motaquip bones are ~£40 each depending on quite where you get them. 'Bones from the Pug dealer ~£225

Anthony

Just to echo what others have said really - pulling one way under power, and the other way when you let off, is classic symptom of knackered wishbone bushes.

welshpug

everyone has forgotten about the balljoints ;) though they don't cause such a pronounced change of direction, unless completely shot.

Edited by welshpug

CHRISWB

thanks for all the advice l think l will get a pair of wish bones to start with and see how it goes, l'll let you all know how it goes.

thanks again.

M@tt

no need for complete new wishbones just get new bushes from peugeot and replace the bushes. It will cost you £20 as opposed to £100 for new wishbones.

Obvioulsy the best thing is to take the wishbones off and have a look at them first befor eyou buy anything, inspect the bushes and also gve the ball joint a good wiggle. You should find it moves freely but is quite firm to move. If the ball joint is gone then it 's new wishbones time as they are not replacable but the if its just the bushes they can e replaced on their own.

welshpug

another thing I would suggest to check seeing as you'll be under there, is the 6 bolts holding the subframe to the shell, and the 2 bolts through the steering rack into the subframe.

philfingers

I think bushes are £17 a side so if you can get new ones for £40 then i'd go that route, they're a feckin a*se to change!

welshpug

you can get them for £18+vat for the complete set inc new bolts :lol:

jeremy

Do not rule out track rod ends.