• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Quarryman

Aggh, Locking Nut...

Quarryman

I have a locking nut for the alloys on the 205. The other nuts come off fine but like all locking nuts this one makes a **** contact with the nut on the wheel and as soon as i apply any pressure to the brace it pops off.

What is the best technique for this? I need something that push the brace into the wheel as i turn it.

any suggestions?

dch1950
I have a locking nut for the alloys on the 205. The other nuts come off fine but like all locking nuts this one makes a **** contact with the nut on the wheel and as soon as i apply any pressure to the brace it pops off.

What is the best technique for this? I need something that push the brace into the wheel as i turn it.

any suggestions?

a 4 way might assist if the locating pins aren't too worn. When this happened on mine I took it down to the place that does my exhaust(s) and he whizzed it off with his air wrench and his "magic" adapter.

regards

Dave

boombang

Do up the other three bolts nice and tight first.

I would then try with a windy gun, so you can push towards the bolt nice and firm.

If this doesn't work you're stuck with above, using a locking nut removal tool and ditching them. Even if they come off ok, I would still ditch them.

Only lockers I can recommend are McGard ones, and they'll still come off instantly with the right tool.

Tom Fenton

As above really. The only other thing I know that can work is drilling the heads off them, this can be time consuming though.

EdCherry

Hit everything with a hammer!!!

On a serious note, those irwin gripper sockets do a good job of get them off when you munch the head of the bolt up.

Edited by EdCherry

CosKev

Go to a nice quiet car park,slacken off your 3 normal wheel bolts,then drive the car along for a short distance moving the steering wheel back and too as you go,get out and see if locker has come loose :)

If not drive abit more :)

SurGie

When you re-fit another set, do them up the right torque wrench settings after putting a little copper grease around the threads.

Copper grease also stops the alloys getting contaminated by the steel brake disks which results in them sticking.

when the alloys have been bolted up for a while, only a little bit of copper grease for the alloy bolt area is needed, so none will go on to the

brake disk surface itself. If the brake pads get grease on them, it will never come off, which would mean you would have to replace them.