• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
one-lady-owner

Driveshaft Question.....

one-lady-owner

Offside driveshaft.... with the wheel on the ground and all nuts tight if you get you arm in and grab the driveshaft it has a bit of movement in it if you are sat at the wheel looking down the driveshaft its not side to side play but fore and aft..... not a silly amount but more than the nearside. Knackered?? I only ask as my MOT is coming up in a few weeks..... :lol:

welshpug

if its a 1.9 shaft its normal to have some play in there as the outer joint is splined, if it was a 1.6 shaft I'd say its rather worn!

pablo

would imply the driveshaft nut isnt tight no?

one-lady-owner

Hub nut is tight! I've just given it a look!

one-lady-owner

Right, I've just had the car up on the jack, there is no play in the bearing or the hub, the movement is definitely between the outer cv and the inner cv, I won't worry about it, although I have now noticed a small tear in the cv boot i replaced about 3 months ago.... :unsure: another job to add to the list!

pug_ham

There has to be some movement between the two joints on any driveshaft to allow for suspension travel!!

Graham.

Galifrey
There has to be some movement between the two joints on any driveshaft to allow for suspension travel!!

Graham.

What Graham said, CV joints have some in and out play as the wishbone causes the hub to move in an arc. As the pivots for the driveshaft and the suspension are different, there has to be an allowance for the driveshaft to extend and shorten.

Without this the suspension, or more seriously, the driveshaft would lock.

one-lady-owner

Yeah, I knew that, just seems more on one side than the other!