• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
djinuk

Eccentric Top Mounts/benefits And Fitting

djinuk

I have a road going/track car which already has all the typical track spec bits, gti6 engine cage , buckets etc etc..

Im interetsted in getting the GHA gaz coilovers in the group buy, but im wondering whether to go for the eccentric top mounts. do they require any modification to the strut tops in the engien bay to fit or do they just bolt up using the existing holes? Also are they easy enough to setup or do they require any expensive setup procedure ?

any help appreciated, thank you.

SurGie

AFAIK they just bolt up to the original holes, underneath iv read is the best option. I would do a bit of stitch welding around the strut area as the eccentric top mounts can be hard on them, it would be a good idea to weld a strut top plate of 3-4 mm thickness, you don't want them too thick for road use.

I would like to know how to fit them as well, to get a precise amount of camber and toe, or any place that can fit them

to suit my driving.

Also what bolts are needed to fit them to the strut top plate ?

Cheers

Edited by SurGie

Batfink

underneath or above - it does not matter. I used a track car with it set on top and had no issues but it gave a bit of extra suspension travel.

Also I never welded the inner arch - really its for rally cars and race cars that are going to attack high curbs.

The gaz coilovers will have spring top hats, the top mounts will just fit on top.

Cameron

Eccentric top mounts won't adjust your toe, just castor and camber. They are a bit rubbish to be honest, as you can only have either lots of castor, or lots of camber, or a bit of both. The major benefit is having a solid top mounting point.

Anyway, they are dead easy to fit! You have to be careful to get them the same both sides, but that's about it. Then you just want to make adjustments as necessary.

djinuk

sweet, im sold on them i think then..

now im just wondering whether to get the ghas or then golfs.. hmm hmm

MARKMI16

Unless I'm completely missing your point here...You will need longer wishbones and driveshafts to make any real benefit of the camber adjustment on the eccentric top mounts, infact you will only get 1.5 to 2 degrees of negative camber with top mounts and longer wishbones and driveshaft.

Tom Fenton

Not sure how you figure that one out, if you keep the standard length wishbones and move the top pivot in towards the centre of the car you will gain negative camber. However it has to be said you do not get very much just from the top mounts.

Galifrey

The 2 way adjustable top mounts that Baker BM do are probably a better idea than eccentric

MARKMI16
Not sure how you figure that one out, if you keep the standard length wishbones and move the top pivot in towards the centre of the car you will gain negative camber. However it has to be said you do not get very much just from the top mounts.

With a correct castor set up you will only get about 1 degree on standard wishbones. Longer wishbones will give you slightly more camber while maintaining a good caster set up. I guess it depends on how much caster is used.

Mark.

screwloose

Be aware that dialing in negative camber may look 'cool' but can really play havoc with handling. By all means give it a go but I assure you its not for everyone. I've read in a couple of places that 205s really dont need it/suit it. Just my tuppence.

James_R

I'd only bother if you find you're still getting shoulder wear on the tyres after you've test the car out with the new sus/ride height set up

Cameron

Mine is running 3 degrees with 309 arms and eccentric mounts set about 2/3 towards camber, and I got pretty good tyre wear on track and epic cornering grip. Not so hot on acceleration grip in low gears, and braking in the wet isn't fun! 2 - 2.5 deg is probably a better compromise.

Doesn't really matter how much camber you whack on the front though, you're still gonna be hampered by positive camber at the rear, even with 1.5 deg arms.

SurGie

Unless you have a large, thick ARB fitted, or the double type ?

Cloverleaf

I'm a fan of castor over camber.

Cameron, have you tried reducing your camber and adding some castor?

Nrj

my 205 im buying has some solid top mounts and am wondering who makes them as i cannot find anything on web search,

the are adjustable, anodised orange, and look a very high quality item, much beet than my mk1 astra ones.

Cameron

Castor isn't really worth it to be honest, the amount you'll get with eccentric top mounts is too small to make a difference. Sure, with camber you'll lose a bit of acceleration and braking grip but what you lose on the swings you make up on the roundabouts. :D

SurGie

Is there some sort of detailed chart available to depict what each hole movement is = to the amount of caster and camber settings you want to

achieve with eccentric mounts ?

welshpug

not really, as it varies from shell to shell!

the AST and BBM top mounts give a greater degree of single way adjustment than the type that compbrake do as the fore and aft movement is separate from the side to side one.

Cameron

No, but the top mounts give you 1.5 degrees max of camber, and maybe slightly less for castor. So you'll have to interpolate between max and min I'm afraid.

SurGie
not really, as it varies from shell to shell!

the AST and BBM top mounts give a greater degree of single way adjustment than the type that compbrake do as the fore and aft movement is separate from the side to side one.

Ok then, mine are compbrake ones.

So would the compbrake ones be the best all round for fast road use and all the others best for use on the track ?

Cheers