• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
wildejon

Changing Front Bearings

wildejon

I gave both hubs to a local garage to swap the bearings, they gave up and gave them back to me with the circlips in pieces and saying I need new hubs...

I'm not sure how to tell if they are right or if they just approached this totally the wrong way?!

How do I fix this now, dremel out the remining circlip chunks or just get replacement hubs?

Pics should demonstrate what I mean, if not I'll get some higher res ones.

Flickr

Thanks!

chris-stdt

Id try to get the rest of the circlips out before buying new hubs

It looks almost like they have been welded in but it must be that thet are very very badly corroded and they will take alot of getting out by the looks of it

You could try putting them in a vice and knocking the bits out with a hammer and chisel as a dremmel will eat into the slot where the new circlip will have to go

Good luck

jimistdt

What a mess!

I know the circlips can be a pig to get out sometimes, but they've just disintegrated!

Try 'chasing' them out with a small point chisel. It may even be worth leaving them in the Freezer overnight to try and get some movement.

Good luck with it!

wildejon

I'm thinking I could have done a better job than the garage and that really they have just caused me a world of pain... Reckon they didn't know what they were doing? I feel like I should be asking them for money to pay for my time!!!

Looks like they have had a blowtorch on it already...

Happy to try the freezer idea.

Thanks for the advice, I need to find a vice and then get to work.

dcc

Have words with george Jon, I know he has a world of hubs laying arround which im sure he will sort you out! im sure he hs a set of 1.6 hubs there which he took from the sorrento recently to fit the v6 into it.

Tom Fenton

What I've had to do before is grind a small hole behind the clip, and then gradually lever it out. I'd leave them to soak in a bucket of diesel for a week before I did anything though.

taylorspug

They look pretty knackered ive got to say! By the looks of the markings on the bearing the garage have used a fair bit of heat to try and get those out. As Tom has said they need soaking in something if you want to get them out now.

Its not uncommon for the circlips to get stuck in the grooves, i usually use a chisel to get the clips moving before getting circlip pliers on them.

wildejon

Still REALLY annoyed that the garage seem to have made this job a whole lot harder than it needs to be...

The opp side hasn't been touched so I'll get to work on that and then soak this one which is a total mess. Guess I need a container to go get some diesel? My wife is gonna go mental when she sees that in the garage...

Thanks for the advice guys! (Oh and I have mesaged George just incase, needing 1.9 hubs now tho :o )

Tom Fenton

To be honest, its not the garages fault you have given them 20 year old hubs with a circlip that is solid with rust. having said that it doesn't look like they have tried THAT hard to get them out. But its not really their fault.

wildejon

OK, that makes me feel better. Honestly, I just wasn't sure if they just started smashing at it (leaving those pieces of circlip all over) rather than taking a slightly more thoughtful approach to prising the little buggers out.

I agree I did provide them with quite a challenge!

Now to find a vice...

admipug

Worst i've ever had was a mates clio, was sposed to be a nice little saturday morning foreigner too. Spent an hour and a half getting the circlip out.

My approach was hack saw a recess into the hub casting opposite the original split in the circlip but try not to cut into the circlip, once you can access the rear of the circlip (so to speak) use some heat to get it glowing and then proceed to drive a chisel into it once it has cooled slightly - knocking the circlip inwards. I did 3 relief uts and eventually got it out. Took a long time but it worked in the end.

Don't butcher the cylindrical face of the inside of the hub as pressing in and out then becomes a whole lot more difficult.

Ad