• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
PaulJLLD

Which Arb

PaulJLLD

hi guys

Im at the stage of geting my front subframe ready to be fitted to my road rally car, and cant make up my mind which arb to fit, what are the pros and cons of a thicker or thiner arb on the front?

Car has billys with 180lb spring on the front 309 arms, rear 21mm torison bars with either a 24 or 19mm arb depending which 1 i like most.

Any info would be great

Thanks Paul

Baz

1.6 and 1.9 are the same.

Personal preference really, try it.

Craigb

In my experience for a road rally car , take it off completely .

Far better handling and traction over the undulating surfaces we have to deal with .

Set the front with a little toe out and Bobs your uncle .

if you are unsure , fit one of your bars , then leave off a drop link and see what its like . Then reconnect the drop link and try again . It will be down to personal taste

PaulJLLD
1.6 and 1.9 are the same.

Personal preference really, try it.

Oh i thought 1.6 and 1.9s were diffrent. that makes it easy then

Baz

I agree with Craig, if you have decent damping and a higher spring rate than standard, don't run one at all. My car running 300lb+ springs etc on Leda dampers doesn't run one.

But, i tried it on my 1.6 with Koni's & standard springs and 22mm rear anti roll bar, and it's a little too body-roll-tastic for my liking, although the front turn-in and grip was improved, it wallowed around a bit too much negating any gain, the rear trying to hang on, with a wheel wagging in the air at any opportunity/excessively! Although it wasn't too different time-wise from what i could tell, it wasn't the most comfortable feeling to drive...

P258.jpg

Edited by Baz

Craigb

Saw that photo , and just wanted to shout whooo hooo and wave back :rolleyes:

Edited by Craigb

PaulJLLD

Thansk guys, got challange spec billys and 180lb spring atm off my old car fancy a slightly stiffer spring though, anyone know where i can get standard ride hieght springs from around 200ish lb?

Craigb

You're Wales based ? How many miles of whites are you doing ? . Ive gone down from tarmac coilovers (225) back to Gravel (185)

you don't really want much more . Ask your Navi , can he plot with 250's ?

Are most of your events preplot ?

Peter Lloyd rallying probably the best price . try them and cheap enough to pass on if you don't like them

PaulJLLD
You're Wales based ? How many miles of whites are you doing ? . Ive gone down from tarmac coilovers (225) back to Gravel (185)

you don't really want much more . Ask your Navi , can he plot with 250's ?

Are most of your events preplot ?

Peter Lloyd rallying probably the best price . try them and cheap enough to pass on if you don't like them

Yeah i am, i try to keep away from the rallys that have lots of whites there is planty of good rallys that use lots of tarmac and thats what i like,

Yes thay are all preplot.

swordfish210

I've tried all three, 205, 309 and none at all. I found the 205 to be the best. The 309 was a bit understeery but it was ok on track, no arb made the front end all wollowey and the car lost all steering response. The 205 was the bset bits of the two really.

j_turnell

All depends on what rear arb your combining it with, a 24mm rear and 309 front works very well in my experience, but if you running a near standard rear arb then it will understeer with the 309 front, and your best off leaving the standard item on.

Baz
But, i tried it on my 1.6 with Koni's & standard springs and 22mm rear anti roll bar, and it's a little too body-roll-tastic for my liking, although the front turn-in and grip was improved, it wallowed around a bit too much negating any gain, the rear trying to hang on, with a wheel wagging in the air at any opportunity/excessively! Although it wasn't too different time-wise from what i could tell, it wasn't the most comfortable feeling to drive...

Just though i'd add, the 1.6 now runs a 24mm rear ARB and Eibach front springs with the rear beam lowered to match, ZX trailing arms and GpA mounts, with the std front ARB, and works very well...