• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Van-Roy

Do You Know? As I Dont Thats Why Im Asking. :-)

EdCherry

Most of these gauges and alingment tools all have flaws (as do the cars/operators) to the point where if you want real accuracy you need to fork out some real money and time doing it, but on the other hand you'll barely notice .1 of a degree from a drivers perspective to make much of a difference.

philfingers

I use one of the these but mounted on a proper frame. What good is measuring the camber of the disc i have no idea. The wheels need to be on the ground. I paid about £70 for mine on ebay. It will do castor too, which if you have eccentric top mounts you'll adjust caster and camber at the same time. Only true independant top mounts are www.bakerbm.com ones, which look first class, I'll get around to fitting mine at some point!

Van-Roy, did you used to be on the M & H forum? I have 309 bottom arms on my 205 road rally car and I think it's a little too much neg TBH. Fine for the track probably.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Longacre-Caster-Camb...=item4398b2923f

Edited by philfingers

Baz
yes?

That's good to hear! Bet it looks quite cool with the extra front track width AND the camber!

I'm yet to try it myself!

jackherer
What good is measuring the camber of the disc i have no idea. The wheels need to be on the ground.

If you had axle stands under the wishbones like you would when tightening the wishbone bushes the camber of the disc would be the same as the camber of the wheel when fitted. Sort of.

SurGie
I use one of the these but mounted on a proper frame. What good is measuring the camber of the disc i have no idea. The wheels need to be on the ground. I paid about £70 for mine on ebay. It will do castor too, which if you have eccentric top mounts you'll adjust caster and camber at the same time. Only true independant top mounts are www.bakerbm.com ones, which look first class, I'll get around to fitting mine at some point!

Van-Roy, did you used to be on the M & H forum? I have 309 bottom arms on my 205 road rally car and I think it's a little too much neg TBH. Fine for the track probably.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Longacre-Caster-Camb...=item4398b2923f

Now that piece of kit looks more like it, its now £130 which is a lot more than what you paid.

The only problem i can see is that the magnet attachment wont stick to alloy wheels.

Whats all this about baker.bm top mounts, not the rubber Gp N type obviously ?

What makes them any better/different than compbrake eccentric mounts, (which is what i have) ?

philfingers
If you had axle stands under the wishbones like you would when tightening the wishbone bushes the camber of the disc would be the same as the camber of the wheel when fitted. Sort of.

not strictly true becasue the arm is basically a lever. Place the stand under the 'bones at different points will change the 'ride height'. But saying that put them under the ball joint and you probably wouldn't be far away. I'd recommend you left the jack a few mm lower than the subframe tho, wouldn't be too happy working on a car on stands just under the ball joints

jackherer

I fully agree Phil, hence the 'sort of' I put at the end :lol: Agreed about not getting under it either, I'm very fussy about making sure a car is well supported, I've even had bad dreams in the past about cars falling on me :ph34r::wub:

shalmaneser
That's good to hear! Bet it looks quite cool with the extra front track width AND the camber!

I'm yet to try it myself!

lol thought you were going to tell me my CV's have but moments to live before they explode on the motorway at 70mph (officer). No driveshaft problems as yet.

Looks well mean actually, tiny bit of rubbing on the plastic arches went away after about 10 miles. Turn in feels a touch more positive too which is nice - i need all the help i can get with a 40mm drop on the front and a standard rear beam...still waiting for that elusive 309 beam to pop up nearby....

I've got to take some pics for insurance soon, I'll pop them up.

Baz
I've got to take some pics for insurance soon, I'll pop them up.

Yes do! :)

welshpug
still waiting for that elusive 309 beam to pop up nearby....

wouldn't bother, just stick some nice fat torsion bars in the 205 beam :)

SurGie

Some like the 309 beam some don't, the 309 beam does give more stability at high speed, as well as other advantages.

I would advise to do some research on here before making the decision to swap beams TBH.

shalmaneser

Oh no it's turned into another 309 rear beam discussion!...

As much as I'd like to just wack some thicker bars in a 205 beam I just can't afford the prices people are asking for them! 309 is the most cost-effective option at the moment.

unless someone has some bargain ARBs/TBs kicking around that they'd want to sell me for good price, yes?