• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
davemar

Tu Rear Drum Brake Force

davemar

The 205 1.1 failed it MOT, mainly brakes and a wheel bearing. The rears (drums) failed for being too weak, does anyone know what force the rears should be giving? The MOT place gave me readings of around 35 for the rears and 220ish for the fronts.

one-lady-owner

I think the rears should be giving more like 100+ the last time I had rear drums that bad (albeit on a 106) it was because both cylinders had started leaking slightly and I had fluid coating the braking surface..... worth a quick pop off with the drums to investigate me thinks!

davemar

It looks like one of the cylinders was leaking a little, didn't have time to check the other one.

I've got Girling drums, but am confused to which parts I need to replace these cylinders. Looking on servicebox, there's the 4402-73 and 4402-74 for left and right cylinders, or 4402-75 for (I assume) is non-sided cylinders. Which do I need, and how do I tell them apart?

welshpug

Girling = Oval hole in the backplate.

brake shoes =

4241 72 BRAKSHOE SET 180X30 WITHOUT ASBESTOS - A005 - CARBURETTOR EXCEPT TU24

Wheel Cylinders -

4402 73 WHEEL CYLINDER LEFT

DIAM 19 - TU24 EXCEPT CARBURETTOR - EXCEPT INJECTION - TURBO AND WITH ABS BRAKES EXCEPT DIESEL EXCEPT VAN

WITH INTEGRAL COMPENSATOR

4402 74 RIGHT

DIAM 19 - TU24 EXCEPT CARBURETTOR - EXCEPT INJECTION - TURBO AND WITH ABS BRAKES EXCEPT DIESEL EXCEPT VAN

WITH INTEGRAL COMPENSATOR

The Base model vehicles don't have an inline brake pressure regulator like the GTi and Euro Rallye variants (as well as some Diesel/Turbo Diesel models)

miamichris

On the note of brake shoes, I tried to get some for a 1.6 gti beam (girling) from peugeot today and they were no longer available! :)

davemar

Thanks for the confirmation welshpug, I've ordered some new ones now.

When I was dismantling the brake to inspect them, when I put them back together the brake is now completely slack. I did remember to clip the cable back on to the lever. Are the auto-adjuster things supposed to spread themselves out when you press the pedal until they reach some settling point?

There's a lot to be said for a transparent drum to see whats going on!