• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest stevebristol

How To Adjust Rear Ride Height

Guest stevebristol

hi everyone

ive just brought a 1.9 gti which has been lowered to the max .

it bounce all over the place .

does any one know were i can get it set back to oe spec ride height cheap ?

looking poss some were around bristol avon or can travel if needed will pay .

been quoted £150 ish is that to much

thanks

steve

Anthony

Do you have any history of the beam having been rebuilt recently? If not, be warned that you could be opening a can of worms and it might turn into a rather more involved job than it initially appears....

Guest finlayson21

I've just rebuilt my rear beam m8 on the cheap,

built a good one out of a siezed 1.9 and a worn 1.6!!!

I found that if ur all freed off then its not that bad a job 2 do,

with ur rear shocks and a.r.b removed u can find ur most preferred ride height if u just move ur springs 1 spline at a time and recheck,

a bit time consuming but a got ther in the end,my ride height now looks totally standard which is wot am after

just make sure u mark ur original spring positions and work out wot way u want 2 move ur radius arm to suit,

just remember to b patient if ur gny try it and good luck! :)

boombang

From the forum rules:

"- when asking questions or making replies, make full use of vocabulary and grammar

which means that "txt spk" and "CAPS LOCK" (aka shouting) will not be tolerated.

also, only english language is allowed for use in public conversations"

Anthony (unlike poster above), speaks sense. Would first up give the current beam some visual an physical checks to see if it sits and moves correctly.

Guest finlayson21
From the forum rules:

"- when asking questions or making replies, make full use of vocabulary and grammar

which means that "txt spk" and "CAPS LOCK" (aka shouting) will not be tolerated.

also, only english language is allowed for use in public conversations"

Anthony (unlike poster above), speaks sense. Would first up give the current beam some visual an physical checks to see if it sits and moves correctly.

sorry to offend boombang,

but I did think my comment made perfect sense,

I did also say that if the beam was free then should be a fairly straight forward job,

point taken about the txt speak,could you not make any sense out of my comment though?? :)

boombang
sorry to offend boombang,

but I did think my comment made perfect sense,

I did also say that if the beam was free then should be a fairly straight forward job,

point taken about the txt speak,could you not make any sense out of my comment though?? :)

Afraid it is more of not being bothered to make sense of it a don't feel I should have to. No personal offence taken, it's just that myself and many others really appreciate that this is a forum written in proper English. Perhaps I see it as a small island of sanity in a seriously f***ed up world.

Guest finlayson21
Afraid it is more of not being bothered to make sense of it a don't feel I should have to. No personal offence taken, it's just that myself and many others really appreciate that this is a forum written in proper English. Perhaps I see it as a small island of sanity in a seriously f***ed up world.

All a bit deep and meaningfull for me Boombang,I thought the main objective was to provide and hopefully receive as much usefull information as possible on the models of cars we are enthusiastic about,I communicate with one of the largest car manufacturing technical teams in the world on a daily basis and have never been given a ticking off like that before,but never the less,rules are rules.You've been a member of this forum far longer than me and I shall start as I mean to go on and try my upmost to write clearly and precisely from now on so that people can make sense of my comments.

Tom Fenton

Good man.

Regarding the beam height, the torsion bars have unequal splines either end- so by releasing both ends, you can achieve pretty much any ride height you desire, by setting the distance between damper pins, and then indexing the bars round until they will slide in with little more than hand pressure. Doing it with one end fixed means you are limited to ~30mm increments.

lagonda

Out of interest, which end splines alters ride height by approximately how much...assuming standard 1.6 torsion bars? If it helps, I think mine are marked HG & the car's a CTi.

Guest stevebristol

hi everyone

thanks for all your advise .

ive booked car into citroen tech in bristol they have been doing these for years so fill quite happy for them to do it ,beam had been repalced 6 mths ago so all is cool there .

they quoted £130 is that about wright or is that to much as dont know .

or does anyone know of some one that could do it cheaper and have faith in them as dont want car damaged .

many thanks

boombang

To raise a beam I'd say allow a couple of hours so long as nothing is too seized.

Whether it'll go back together without creaking and failing a short time after is another story. For £130, I'd be tempted to get some used bits and build a second good beam to go on the car. It'll cost a touch more, but will give peace of mind and probably be cheaper in long run (than £130 now and then a rebuild in future anyhow).

Guest stevebristol

thanks boombang

as only just got car want things to be wright on it .

i would do myself as im and ex mechanic but due to breaking my back i now have problems bending down etc other wise i would have ago my self .

have got all paper work showing beam was done 6mths ago with all new parts so touch wood all should be fine

thanks again

marksorrento205

I would contact Welshpug. I dont think he is far from you, very helpfull and knows his way around a beam or two

Guest stevebristol
I would contact Welshpug. I dont think he is far from you, very helpfull and knows his way around a beam or two

thanks for tip will try and contact him

jord294

shame you weren' any nearer to me :(

i'd of done it for £40

Baz

Bristol isn't far up the road from Anthony in Swindon, he's our long-standing resident perfectionist beam builder, i'd say pop down to him.

Guest stevebristol
Bristol isn't far up the road from Anthony in Swindon, he's our long-standing resident perfectionist beam builder, i'd say pop down to him.

how do i contact him

thanks steve

omega
how do i contact him

thanks steve

go to the 2nd post of this thread click on his name and send a pm