• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pj838

Suspension Advice Please

pj838

Hi all

Need to replace the front struts on my 1.9. I'd rather buy new ones than chance some second hand ones, gsf prices look ok (autofive prices crazy) but were the oe spec ones actually bilsteins? I can't remember.

Anyone tried the gsf ones? I will be keeping the standard set up apart from grp n topmount kits.

Alternatively can anyone recommend the best 'standard' ones to buy.

Paul.

johnsimister

OE ones are Peugeot's own. It's one of very few companies to make its own dampers. The advantage of buying an OE strut is that the damping rates are properly matched to the car. Aftermarket struts will physically fit, of course, but what's inside them may not be as well suited to the job.

John

cRaig

Peugeot ones are about £400 each, if I looked the right think up on service box! Very, very expensive lol.

Im in a similar position, and am thinking bilstein B4s are the best comprimise..

pj838

mmm dread to think what the price is from a main dealer then... :)

pj838

£400...lol.

Seen a few B4s for sale, from the streetline kit? Anyone know if this lowers the car, as I'm pretty sure the sprintline kit does...

welshpug

its the spring and adjusting the torsion bars that lower a car, not the dampers :(

Unsure what GSF actually supply nowadays, the front black Bilstein dampers are Fine, but the Rears I would either go with original equipment 5206K6 items, or I have heard that the Bilstein Black for a Citroen ZX are a vast improvement on the rather poor 205/306 spec items.

I know that ECP supply them, as does Miles on here.

the original front dampers are £175 each, the rears £41 each.

Edited by welshpug

cRaig

Sorry, I was slightly wrong.. they are "only" £200 each for pug 5202 N1's lol

chris-stdt

Im sure gsf list bilstein and non bilstein shocks for the 205

I went for bilstein gas shocks from a 306 gti front and back on recommendation from a few people on here but i havent fitted them yet and the car wont be back on the road till march ,just in time to go on the lakes trip so i hope there ok :(