• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gazmk2

Ill-fitting Polybushes

gazmk2

hi guys.

I bought some powerflex bushes for the front lower suspension wishbones and after spending almost 2 days just getting one of the old bushes out, i fitted a polybush but the fit is so tight it bulges out to point of it being distorted. This has also made it impossible to re-fit the suspension arm. What have i done wrong? I checked the part number and it's definately the correct one.

Thanks.

gary

pugpete1108

have you got out the outer metal sleeve from the old bushes?

i know mine were tight and were quite diffucult to refit the arms but i got there in the end.

gazmk2

an outer metal sleeve might be the issue then as i.ve only removed the 2 inner tubes of metal plus a load of rubber. I take it there is a 3rd sleeve right on the outside then?

Miles

Not what you want to hear, but the std bushes are far better than the Powerflex one's, Which as the name sugest Flex so you can;t gruge them that

Anthony
an outer metal sleeve might be the issue then as i.ve only removed the 2 inner tubes of metal plus a load of rubber. I take it there is a 3rd sleeve right on the outside then?

Yes. If you've removed the rubber, then a hacksaw blade through the middle will allow you to cut through the outer sleeve and then it should come out easily.

hengti

use the copper grease that comes with them (or atleast used to)

never had any bother with the poly bushes on mine

SurGie
Which as the name suggest Flex so you can;t gruge them that

Blunt as ever Miles ;)

Can you elaborate what you mean by "gruge them that" ?

I was planning on fitting poly bushes for my conversion, not too sure now :(

Cheers

Edited by SurGie

Baz
:(

oli-pug
:(;) nice one, never heard that before!

gazmk2

well, i got the mis-shapen bush out along with the outer metal sleeve and surprise surprise the new bush slid straight in!!! Great thing is is that one bush plush a new set of arb drop links has cured the wandery handling!!! Good job i did a search too as i found a thread on having to jack the arms up to where they would be if the car was sat on it's wheels before tightening the bolts up. would a standard blow torch be ideal to simply burn out the old rubber when i come to do the other 3 bushes?

jackherer
Good job i did a search too as i found a thread on having to jack the arms up to where they would be if the car was sat on it's wheels before tightening the bolts up.

You don't need to do that with polybushes, it only applies to the OE rubber ones.

gazmk2

never mind. It did no harm eh!! It's started knocking over bumps now, could it just be i need to nip all the bolts up again?

Rob Thomson

They've probably worn out already, f***ing awful hateful things. I got through three sets in about a month back in the day when I was young and niave. Take them out now and fit new Peugeot bushes; better handling and they'll last.

gazmk2

i thought these polyurethane bushes were supposed to be firmer and longer lasting than standard. They were on a mk2 golf at least.

pugpete1108

i have had poly bushes on the front wishbones for about 4yrs now they are not powerflex but some other brand from ralley design (cant remember what) and have had no problems with them?

admittedly the car has been off the road for two of those years :)

Anthony
i have had poly bushes on the front wishbones for about 4yrs now they are not powerflex but some other brand from ralley design (cant remember what) and have had no problems with them?

The Rally Design ones seem to be good in my experience - had the Polysport (yellow) ones on the front of mine for the past 40-50k miles or so, including trackdays and 'Ring trips :)

Cameron

I found the polyrace ones from rally design were really good, but you had to keep greasing them otherwise they would squeak a lot! The polysport ones are nicer. :)

Make sure you put some anti-sieze on the bolt shank though, my first set seized into the metal sleeve and I had to hack the subframe to bits to get it out!

gazmk2

surely a brand new and correctly fitted polybush should'nt start knocking after 10 miles?

Mad Scientist

Make sure you lube the sleeves up with PTFE grease when you fit them. We supply the polyrace bushes on our website and they don't come with grease sachets like they used to. Dry fitted bushes squeak like hell and won't last long.

Pete

www.auto-nation.co.uk

kyepan

the arb bushes from flex don't fit either

pugpete1108
The Rally Design ones seem to be good in my experience - had the Polysport (yellow) ones on the front of mine for the past 40-50k miles or so, including trackdays and 'Ring trips :wub:

thats the puppies. yellow ones i think i also brought a set of roll bar ones too but then realised the oe ones were poly already and never bothered doing them.