• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Daxed

Replacing Rear Brake Pipes

Daxed

Car just failed MOT on rusty brake pipes.

I need to change the solids from the rear T back (1.6 GTI)

Is all of it accessable or does the tank etc require dropping?

Thanks, Steve

Baz

If it's only from the T-piece then it's all pretty accessible under the rear of the car around the beam, a bit fiddly on the shell behind the beam, where the lines/joints are on the brackets affixed the the rear seat wells, but as i say, not a tank off job!

The worry is though, is if the joints from the single line under the tank actually come apart without braking the lines that you're not replacing! :ph34r:

Tom Fenton

As Baz says. I find it helps to get the rear exhaust box off out of the way if it will seperate without too much of a struggle.

I must say though, if the front/rear line is the original I'd also change this as well whilst you are at it. It is a bit awkward but you can feed the pipe over the tank without removing it.

Daxed

Thanks Guys

pug_ham

The brake pipes are pretty easily accessble without fully removing the tank, they only got round the side of it & over the edge so not literally over the tank.

The two 13mm nuts that hold the back of the tank up are all you need to undo to make access to the pipe running from the front to the T piece easier but its well worthwhile cleaning the threads for them with another M8 nut & some copper grease etc to aid getting them undone without shearing the stud off. remove the nuts & let the tank drop to the bottom of the stud thread give enough access to route the ppe through & get it back into the clips above the side of the tank.

Like Tom says, if you are doing some of the rear pipes its well worth doing the main front to rear one at the same time, they'll only fail it next year if you don't. :(

Graham.

Daxed
Like Tom says, if you are doing some of the rear pipes its well worth doing the main front to rear one at the same time, they'll only fail it next year if you don't. :wub:

Graham.

Sound Advice, and well timed also, am doing the main front to rear today. The main reason being as above, it will fail next year so might as well do it now whilst the weather is good.

Thanks for the info regarding fitting this one.

Steve

Simes

I did remove the tank (1.9GTI) came off easier than I thought although the remaining 5 litres or so of petrol poured out and melted through the tarmac on my drive.

Anyway it gave me a good chance to rub down and paint the rusty bits you never see.