• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jason7579

Petrol Cap Loose?

jason7579

Yesterday I noticed that I had petrol fumes (I use super unleaded) escaping from the petrol cap.

Is this a problem?

How can I stop it?

If I need a new petrol cap can I change over the lock?

Thanks

BusEngineer

Not a lot of use this post but i had this once about 18months ago, just noticed it in my wing mirror while i was waiting for someone parked up. Never noticed it after, and i smoke so im sure id know about it if it was serious as id have blown myself up!!! ;):)

jason7579
Not a lot of use this post but i had this once about 18months ago, just noticed it in my wing mirror while i was waiting for someone parked up. Never noticed it after, and i smoke so im sure id know about it if it was serious as id have blown myself up!!! ;):)

:P Thanks. I don't smoke so I'm hoping I'm safe.

Only noticed it once yesterday so maybe its a one off?

BusEngineer

Like i say i never noticed it again, perhaps id managed to fit the cap a bit wrong that day, not sure was a while ago. Personally if i was you id check its fitted properly, and if it is remove and just check the condition of the seal, if its gone hard or looks damaged maybe its time for a new seal or cap (not sure if you can buy the seal separately, although im sure someone on here will know)

Baz

It's pretty common tbh, perhaps the breathers are blocked? Or the seal on the cap isn't doing an amazing job these days?

jason7579

Thanks, I'll take the cap off and give everything a clean up and check it all over.

Whereabouts are the breathers? Is that the small hole under the hole you use for filling up?

Jrod

A cigarette is not actully hot enough to light petrol. :(

omega
A cigarette is not actully hot enough to light petrol. :(

but its not the petrol that lights its the fumes

jackherer
but its not the petrol that lights its the fumes

That is correct but a cigarette won't ignite fuel vapour either.

Cameron

Nope, its Hollywood bollocks.

My car does this, and I think its down to blocked breathers as it also burps petrol when I fill up.

jason7579

Thanks again, is there any way to clean the breathers?

I won't worry too much about it but it would be nice to get it sorted.

jackherer

It probably is due to blocked breathers in most cases but the caps do go loose with age so its worth checking carefully, I was following my old 205 around a track while my mate was driving it and I was pretty worried watching it as every time it went round a left hand bend fuel was gushing out of the fuel cap :D

Cameron

I tried fitting two seals to my fuel cap once, made bugger all difference! :D

jackherer

Its not the seal that goes, I think there must be a spring in the cap that keeps the seal tight and its this that goes slack.

GLPoomobile

I noticed a quite impressive heat-haze like vapour trail from my cap today, whilst parked up.

Having done a search and read the topics I could find, nobody seems to have actually confirmed a solution for this yet. Is it a case of replacing the cap seal, or should I clean the breathers? I don't even know where to start with the breathers, is it covered in the Haynes BOL?

GLPoomobile

I noticed a quite impressive heat-haze like vapour trail from my cap today, whilst parked up.

Having done a search and read the topics I could find, nobody seems to have actually confirmed a solution for this yet. Is it a case of replacing the cap seal, or should I clean the breathers? I don't even know where to start with the breathers, is it covered in the Haynes BOL?

P_Monty

I'm not a 100% sure, but I'm sure I've heard somewhere that petrol fresh from the pump is cool (I don't think its chilled - just a result of being stored underground). Maybe on a hot day it expands and has to go somewhere...

asdf205

Mine used to do this and i was quite worried about it so i picked up a new cap from ebay for about £5.