• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Henry 1.9GTi

Rear Damper Advice

Henry 1.9GTi

Hi,

I am going to be buying some GAZ GGA front dampers from the group buy and was after some advice on rear dampers.

The rear will be ZX trailing arms 25mm ARB 23mm torsion bars. Currently using bilstein sprintline yellow dampers.

What rear damper would suit this setup the choices seem to be keep my current ones, rear GAZ dampers, bilstein tarmac from special tuning or perhaps some Fox via Rippthrough if they are still available.

Any advice welcome. Fox are probably the best choice but the most expensive and not sure on availability.

Cheers.

Henry.

Baz

Billy Tar's would be my choice, the Sprintlines might be up to it too though tbh. :)

oli-pug

I've got 23mm tbs and bilstein tarmacs with the 1038 code iirc. Done loads of trackdays and road miles on them and the damping is still good, matches the bars well.

Those Fox remote res jobbies would be nice though :) How much are the rear Gaz golds?

Edited by oli-pug

Anthony

If you've got Sprintlines already, I'd try the car with those initially and see what the damping feels like

Henry 1.9GTi

Ok well for the time being and to save money! I am going to stick with the sprintlines.

Could someone recomend some front spring rates to bias the car towards oversteer with the above mentioned setup in the dry. I was thinking somewhere between 250lb/in and 300. This is with R888 lots a front camber 10mins of toe out and a 309 front arb.

275lbs/in 8" free length sound ok? Someone teach me metric ffs (uni? bah)

Anthony

I'd say start with 250lb, especially if you've got a 309 front ARB too. No idea on length though I'm afraid.

Cameron

Spring rates don't do so much as far as over/understeer, that's more of an ARB thing.

If you're getting GGA on the front, why aren't you getting them for the rear too?

Henry 1.9GTi

Just being a keyboard warrior have read that 205s are quite sensitive to rear dampers and the only ones I have seen recomended are the billies.

plus was hoping someone would say keep the sprints, saves me money and they are so easy to change I can try some different ones back to back at a track and see if there is any noticeable difference.

Ive still got the original roll bar so can try both at a track day.

Edited by Henry 1.9GTi

Cameron

Well the GGAs are race dampers, and you can have them custom valved to your spec. I have them all round on mine and get on very well with them. :D

Henry 1.9GTi

all very well but I don't know anything about damper setup and wouldn't know what to ask for :)

any suggestions based upon the setup I have listed?

What spring rates are you using if you don't mind me asking?

Cameron

Good job Gaz are experts then! ;)

What you do is reel off your setup to them, so spring stiffness F&R, anti-roll bars, car weight and type of tyre and they'll valve them to suit.

Henry 1.9GTi

Kool kool,

I will inform them of the above and ask for a dyno plot of the damper to ask someone in the know.

Cheers.

Henry.