• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sam jfm

266mm Vs Standard 1.9gti

sam jfm

With disc type,pad and fluid the same which is best? i presume the 266's but they weigh more? does the extra braking make up for the weight?

Cheers Sam

Gman

To be honest, I think the difference in acceleration would be marginal. The handling will be affected ever so slightly as it is more unsprung weight, but the extra braking power should out weigh any negative aspect. You will notice the braking on the road, but you would have to be on track to notice any difference in handling and acceleration so I would go for it, although I would go for the gti6 setup myself

sam jfm

its on a rally car, and i want to keep 14" wheels! how much more to they weigh?

jonnygoodhand

Just been reading the spec of tri_longers car in his signature and it states he's using Saxo 1.1 calipers. Are these a good compromise between weight and stopping power? Or am I missing something?

Batfink
To be honest, I think the difference in acceleration would be marginal. The handling will be affected ever so slightly as it is more unsprung weight, but the extra braking power should out weigh any negative aspect. You will notice the braking on the road, but you would have to be on track to notice any difference in handling and acceleration so I would go for it, although I would go for the gti6 setup myself

The difference in acceleration may not be noticeable but the the handling certainly is, with the suspension reacting to bumps slower. Thats noticeable on a road car> Smooth tracks may help hide this somewhat.

sam jfm

That does seem strange on a car of that spec!

sam jfm
The difference in acceleration may not be noticeable but the the handling certainly is, with the suspension reacting to bumps slower. Thats noticeable on a road car> Smooth tracks may help hide this somewhat.

Thats what i was worrying about!

Batfink

pad size does not determine how much force the brakes can provide. If its a hillclimb car he's probably gone for as light as possible as there are not many corners to deal with before you stop.

swordfish210

I traded my 247mm brakes for 266mm ones earlier in the year and i would never go back. The extra braking force was really noticable and i had decent pads (Pagid RS4-2) in the 247's and i just used some boggo Ferrodo pads in the 266mm. I was also able to take Avon Rise flat out in the wet with the new 266mm brakes ;)

sam jfm

Did the handling feel much different?

swordfish210

Nothing noticable but it was a bag gap between sessions on the track. I'm sure if i compared the two on the same day i would notice something.

Baz

One of my cars has Gti6 283mm brakes on, with decent OE pads and decent fluid, and another 2 have 1.9 brakes, with effectively decent std(ish) discs/pads, and again decent fluid. The pedal feel is much better on the std 1.9 clad cars, and the braking effort isn't much different, there's a small noticable difference yes, but i'm not sure i'd justify it. In fact, the GTi6 braked car is going back to standard soon. They're just heavy, in turn they effect the steering feel and pick up.

Spend the extra on decent pads and fluid i say, i've never really wanted for any more, apart from maybe better pads after 3 consecutive laps of the Nordschleife!

Edited by Baz

Batfink
One of my cars has Gti6 283mm brakes on, with decent OE pads and decent fluid, and another 2 have 1.9 brakes, with effectively decent std(ish) discs/pads, and again decent fluid. The pedal feel is much better on the std 1.9 clad cars, and the braking effort isn't much different, there's a small noticable difference yes, but i'm not sure i'd justify it. In fact, the GTi6 braked car is going back to standard soon. They're just heavy, in turn they effect the steering feel and pick up.

Spend the extra on decent pads and fluid i say, i've never really wanted for any more, apart from maybe better pads after 3 consecutive laps of the Nordschleife!

To add to this. Bigger brakes and pads affect the pedal feel/travel, but not braking distance. I've driven many 205's with different setups and the only one I thought "hang on I cannot lock my brakes" was an autofive kit with greenstuff pads.

Whether you can apply maximum braking with the brake pedal half pressed or on the floor, the maximum braking has not changed.

A good performance pad will not compress when in use, and will give a far better initial 'bite' which will give more confidence and better feel when braking.

For my trackcar I am going to run standard calipers with carbone lorraine pads and 2 piece disks. I will move to small four pots when money allows just to save more weight.

Baz

Screwloose's car has the big disc conversion kit and you can lock them up!

That said, again it isn't amazingly better than std's.

Edited by Baz

Batfink

it was the greenstuff pads at fault. I'd rather have OE pads than those...

Baz
:) No doubt!

nick

If you can lock the wheels with std brakes then they are powerful enough. The only limiting factor on the std brakes is fade, but any half decent pad will sort this out.

Nick

jengis
If you can lock the wheels with std brakes then they are powerful enough. The only limiting factor on the std brakes is fade, but any half decent pad will sort this out.

Nick

....and decent dot 5.1 fluid as well. No point the pads still working at 500+ deg if the fluid is turning to milkshake!

sub205

i drive the 266mm xsi brakes and i'm really happy with them. i also use the xsi main cylinder, so the setup is 1:1 as in the 306 (which has the same rear brakes than the 205 gti 1.9!)

i would never go back to the 247mm brakes again! the 266s are just amazing, best compromise over weight, costs and brake felling.

only thing that i dont know is wether 14" rims work...

Baz

But do you run different/better pads and fluid now than you did before with your std 247mm setup?

sam jfm

Thanks for the replies chaps very interesting! I will add some background - the setup i am used to was on my 205 1.4 challenge car, 1.6 brakes with braided line, 1155 pads and 5.1 fluid. I was going to fit a set of 285mm HI-SPEC billet 4's with a pedal box, but as i have gone through the build which is almost complete! I have come to the realisation that i have about £700 worth of 14" tyres and wheels that i may as well use, so i first thought about getting some smaller 4 pots but at over £600 for a set of new wilwoods i couldnt see them being £600 better than standard!! That leaves me with standard 1.9 brakes or the 266's, like i said in the first post i would run both brakes to the same spec pads wise etc.

I may consider the 2 piece discs if i would gain a nice cooling advantage? I would then have the option to upgrade to 4 pots if and when funds are available and if they are needed!

The car is going to be used for tarmac rallys and track days, it's only a 1360 so it's not going to achieve great speeds but brakes are very important to me!

Cheers Sam

Baz

As said i would try the 1.9 calipers with decent fluid & pads, they're noticably better then 1.6 ones, and for the cost you can't really go wrong!

sam jfm

How will i go on keeping the pedal box?

sam jfm

no one?

Baz

What's the actual question?