• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
John_B

Problem Replacing Caliper

John_B

I managed to shear the bleed nipple of one of my calipers last week while bleeding the brakes after changing a master cylinder. Then I managed to balls up drilling it out, so now I have a new caliper :)

Now when I connect the braided hose it is more twisted than I think it should be.

Hose1.jpg

If I unscrew it a bit it looks like this (red arrow). Which I think is what it should look like, it's what the other side looks like and that was done by someone who knows what they're doing!

Hose2.jpg

So is this because the caliper is threaded differently than the old one so I have to undo the green arrowed connection and reposition until it sits untwisted?

Second question is to undo this connection do I need to take the slide fitting out first? I wouldn't have thought so but I've almost rounded off the small nut without taking it out (I know this tends to happen with brake fixings).

j_turnell

Personally to avoid this i remove the caliper, wind the caliper onto the flexy pipe and tighten, then bolt the caliper up.

John_B

Yes but wont the pipe be in exactly the same position if I tighten it when its bolted on or not?

sam jfm

i wouldnt worry, set it up so its untwisted at the green arrow end and bleed it up, you will soon know if it leaks!

steve@cornwall
Personally to avoid this i remove the caliper, wind the caliper onto the flexy pipe and tighten, then bolt the caliper up.

Another vote for this^^ and no, you won't get a kinked flexi this way! start splitting the rigid joints, and before you know it you're replacing pipe back to the master cylinder! They don't often undo without twisting to destruction

Edited by steve@cornwall