• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
djinuk

Advice On Good Suspension Setup For My Gti6

djinuk

Im currently building my 205 gti6 road/track car.

The car will be complete with a full cage, and 2 sparco buckets currently accommodating the gti6 transplant.

I do like my low ride height so im guessing around 45mm would be the lowest without loosing handling.

Also im looking at the gaz gold coilovers with eccentric top mounts, however what springs should i buy with this.

Also would the gaz rears be ok , or would a set of bilsteins be a better performing damper.

Should you require any more info to help me with my query please let me know, really appreciate any advice.

gti_al

If you are going to run the rear that low you will need some decent sized torsion bars. I haven't driven any lowered 205s on standard torsion bars that actually work well.

I'm looking at dampers now, and all things point to bilstein as being the best "affordable" option. Just be aware that suspension is quite subjective - try a few setups in other peoples cars

djinuk

thats for that advice, i think some examples of others setups that work well , would benefit me just to get a feel for what some of the other quick pugs are setup like.

Saveit

I know Gaz is used by a Danish racing car builder (mostly Peugeot 106 and 207) and he is very happy with those. He says that they are very similar to Ledas and they are easy to setup. He actually prefers them over Öhlins which are said to be some of the best money can buy.

welshpug

some of the best handling 205's I've ever seen were not lowered at all :blush:

You need to set your budget first, as that will dictate what you can get massively.

start with a set of torsion bars, how stiff you go here depends on how stiff you've gone at the front, which is mainly dictated by the rest of your budget, you'd need Circa £300 here then the rest on whatever you can afford.

djinuk

to be honest my budget would be as large as whatever i ideally needed it to be to have a well sorted pug.

Ive already speant a lot on the engine conversion, a fresh respray , omp cage etc.

gti_al

I wasn't that keen on gaz stuff, until i saw the prices for the group buy. I think that is well worth a pm to Nikica.

With the money you save there, you could go to town on all the other bits and pieces. I know they aren't the best dampers around, but it is an amazing deal.

djinuk

hmm, im thinking then.

A set of the gaz ghas (i think there the cheaper ones) with group N top mounts,

Bilsteins group N rears, with some larger torsion bars and a 45mm drop.

Tom Fenton

Too low if you want it to handle. Buggers up the front geometry.

Saveit
I know they aren't the best dampers around

Whats your reason for saying this? Have you had bad experience with Gaz or what?

djinuk

whats an ideal ride height etc then ?

jackherer
whats an ideal ride height etc then ?

Probably about a 30-35mm drop on a GTI. The important thing is the angle of the wishbones, the inner bushes musn't be lower than the outer balljoint.

gti_al
Whats your reason for saying this? Have you had bad experience with Gaz or what?

A few of my friends have run them in different cars. I think for the money they are very appealing - i don't think anybody is pretending that they actually compete with the big $/£ setups though

I will be getting some soon though, if this group buy is as good as it looks. They will need to be good to compete with the bilstein coilovers i've tried in a few cars. Even the grp n fixed platform ones work pretty well

Edited by gti_al