• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
John_B

Strange Pad Problem

John_B

I fitted new discs and pads a few months ago. Had a look at them last week and found this.

Funnypads2.jpg

They are Bendix discs and Mintex 1144 pads, all 1.6 stuff. They work fine.

Has anyone seen this before?

Tom Fenton

Nothing to especially worry about, but I'd check that your caliper slides are not too worn. Could be caused by either the disc marginally too small, worn caliper slides sitting the pads slighty further out.

dunc

Have seen this a few times when doing brake conversions on other vehicles, basically spacing out a caliper to take a bigger disk etc. The pads (or their position) aren't matching up to size of the disks perfectly. As said could be small disk, larger pad material or any wear which adjusts the postion of the caliper.

I wouldn't worry about it either but might be inclined to snap or file off the extra section of pad, simply because it might make a griding noise over the edge of the disk and also makes visual pad wear inspection a bit harder.

Dunc.

Edited by dunc

John_B

OK thanks for that. I think it's probably the sliders as they don't feel too great. The rest of the stuff I'd hope would be the right size, Bendix discs and Mintex pads, they should be right shouldn't they.

dunc

Should be, measure them to make sure. Are both sides the identical then?

Dunc.