• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Pazzapug

Rear Beam

Pazzapug

Hi,

Well i got my old rear beam off this aft with no problems and got the reconned beam back up and fixed, my first beam iv done! I havnt put the rear hubs on to the new beam yet.

Is it worth getting new bearings or stripping them down and regreasing, there is no sign of wear as yet. If i buy new bearing do you get the hub and bearing or bearing on its own?

Also if anyone is interested in having my old beam to be refurbished then let me know, it wasnt seized but the good ols squeaking noises were there and it had slight play either side.

Many thanks

pugpete1108

good job with the rear beam, did you refurb it yourself?

i was under the impression that the rear hubs came with bearings already fitted , i have found rear bearing listed individually but this may be for rear disk ones?

Pazzapug
good job with the rear beam, did you refurb it yourself?

i was under the impression that the rear hubs came with bearings already fitted , i have found rear bearing listed individually but this may be for rear disk ones?

Hi thanks for the reply, i bought the beam off Bill(billybluesky) who had it on his 205 while he refurbed his, it was actually a guy called Tom Fenton who originally refurbed it, and sold it to Bill, its only coverd a couple of thousand miles.

So the bearing actually comes with the hub, would make sense as it seems its a complete thing.

Tom Fenton

Assuming you are still using drum brakes, the bearing comes seperately and needs to be fitted to the brake drum. However if they are the same drums as I sold the beam with I re greased them not that long ago, so providing there is no play in them I'd say leave them alone.

Pazzapug

Hi Tom, its a 1.9 so its disk as your well aware ;)

There were no bearings on it, so is it worth regreasing mine?? If so what grease is best to use?

Thanks

Tom Fenton

Someone must have changed the stub axles over then, it was a 1600 drum beam when I last owned it.

Pazzapug

I think Bill took the drums off it.

Is there a certain type of grease to use for the bearings??

jord294

i use a good quality bearing grease which i bought from local motor factors