• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dch1950

Drum Handbrake Adjustment

dch1950

Hi,

I've replaced the rear brakes,backplates, pipes,lines and new wheel cylinders and shoes and springs on my 1.6. Because I've fitted the drums etc and bled everything in sight, I need to know if the trick of swapping the hub nuts over will save me having to buy new ones when I manually adjust the shoes and refit the drums.

regards

Dave H

Tom Fenton

You can flick the toothed wheel round from outside the drum with a small flat bladed driver to adjust them up. The auto adjusters are false advertising as they are not automatic and they do not adjust.

dch1950
You can flick the toothed wheel round from outside the drum with a small flat bladed driver to adjust them up. The auto adjusters are false advertising as they are not automatic and they do not adjust.

Hi Tom,

I tried that and all I could see was the spring metal adjuster thing. I couldn't see the toothed wheel yet alone flick it.

So do you lever that to move the toothed cam ? I was thinking of drilling a hole in the back plate to get to the adjuster from the other side.

Dave

EdCherry

You can get it through one of the bolt holes, just keep turning the drum around with a torch to find it!

dch1950

Hi again,

I always think pictures help. Here is one of my rebuilt driver side brake assembly just before I wound the adjuster wheel (to get a reasonable set to the shoes/drum). With the drum in place all I can see is the little adjuster pawl (the item with 28 stamped on it) top right and it covers the toothed wheel.

Tom Fenton

You can get to it thru a wheel bolt hole if you push the wanky tin thing out of the way with a screwdriver. Whilst you are under there you can fit a new rear bump stop too.

dch1950
You can get to it thru a wheel bolt hole if you push the wanky tin thing out of the way with a screwdriver. Whilst you are under there you can fit a new rear bump stop too.

I suppose you mean these things !

best regards

Dave

dch1950

Hi All,

just a final note on this adjust through the bolt hole topic. If the star wheel is right at the end of it's travel i.e. adjusted right down, then access to it through the bolt hole is not at all easy (even possible). With the thread wound out a bit 3-4 threads exposed then it 's a lot easier to view the wheel and to get a screwdriver blade on it.

If you check my picture of the offside brake above you will see that I hadn't done this before fitting the drum. Strangely enough the offside brake self adjusted perfectly though - Ah well

regards

Dave H

PS

I hadn't got a piccy of the nearside.

D