• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
andyjstone

Front Strut Build Up

andyjstone

Just been building up my front struts with all new stuff.

Got it all back together but as you can see the bearing isn't sitting straight:

strut.jpg

I assume it will push down when it goes on the car, but does this look right???

cybernck

Hope this helps :).

post-4-1255636793_thumb.gif

pug_ham

It should sit straight even off the car imo, that one doesn't look to be seated properly imo judging by the fact the spring isn't sat fully against the spring pan in your pic.

post-71-1255637944_thumb.jpg

Take the rubber sleeves off the springs as well & coat the end of the spring coils with molybdenum grease so the settle quicker. (thanks Rippthrough for that hint)

Graham.

andyjstone
It should sit straight even off the car imo, that one doesn't look to be seated properly imo judging by the fact the spring isn't sat fully against the spring pan in your pic.

post-71-1255637944_thumb.jpg

Take the rubber sleeves off the springs as well & coat the end of the spring coils with molybdenum grease so the settle quicker. (thanks Rippthrough for that hint)

Graham.

No, the spring isn't tight against the pan, but I don't know why not, everything is as the drawing - maybe it just needs to settle on the car.

pug_ham
No, the spring isn't tight against the pan, but I don't know why not

Because the rubber sleeves are making the spring to fat to seat into the upper spring pan properly?

It should be tight against the pan though imo, mine always have been, even the Eibachs I've fitted to my 306 even with the rubber sleeves on before i removed them.

Graham.

andyjstone
Because the rubber sleeves are making the spring to fat to seat into the upper spring pan properly?

It should be tight against the pan though imo, mine always have been, even the Eibachs I've fitted to my 306 even with the rubber sleeves on before i removed them.

Graham.

It seems like the spring isn't pushing enough on one side to get it up in the pan - they are Eibach springs and Bilstein Challenge spec. dampers with BBM rubbers, but it don't look right!

I'll pull it apart and try again!

j_turnell

As Graham has said should be tight against the pan, give it a gentle tap with a hammer and it will probably slot into place.

Baz

The 'end' of the spring doesn't always sit right at the butted end of it's pan, if you get what i mean! So when you place the spring there, it doesn't settle properly at first.

andyjstone
The 'end' of the spring doesn't always sit right at the butted end of it's pan, if you get what i mean! So when you place the spring there, it doesn't settle properly at first.

So are you saying that it's probably OK and will settle when I put it on?

I just took the other one off which I refurbished recently (but am now doing again with new bits) and that looks very similar, but the car hasn't been on the wheels since I put it on.

Edited by andyjstone

Weser

Mine were like that when I put springs one recently.

It will settle when put on the car due to the car's weight.

andyjstone
Mine were like that when I put springs one recently.

It will settle when put on the car due to the car's weight.

I just took one apart and the spring pan doesn't sit flat on top of the Eibach spring like it does on the old spring - as you say I'm sure it will when the weight is on, but it doesn't seem right.

pug_ham
I just took one apart and the spring pan doesn't sit flat on top of the Eibach spring like it does on the old spring

Have you removed the rubber sleeve from the Eibach spring?

It should fit fine without this on imo unless they have changed the spec of Eibach springs for the 205.

Graham.

andyjstone
Have you removed the rubber sleeve from the Eibach spring?

No, but I will try that tomorrow.

jamesb

Im having exactly the same problem.

I tried to fit a set of bilstein shocks & springs (the cheap ones) to my 1.6 yesterday & could not get the spring pan to sit flat on top of the spring.

The rubber bush that sits between the spring pan & the steel dome wont align correctly because of the angle the spring sits at & looks like it wants to pop out just as the picture shows at the begining of this thread. My springs dont have any rubber sleves on either so i cant correct it that way & both ends of the spring are against there stops.

Do i just put them back on the car to see if they settle or am i missing something?

andyjstone
Do i just put them back on the car to see if they settle or am i missing something?

I am still having this dilemna and no-one seems to have an answer - everyone I talk to says that it should sit flat, but there is no way it does!

I am tempted to put them on the car as I'm sure it will push down, but once on you can't see what has happened to them and I am concerned that flying round a track they could pop out, so I am still doubtful

jamesb
I am still having this dilemna and no-one seems to have an answer - everyone I talk to says that it should sit flat, but there is no way it does!

I am tempted to put them on the car as I'm sure it will push down, but once on you can't see what has happened to them and I am concerned that flying round a track they could pop out, so I am still doubtful

Ive tried everyting to get the spring pan to sit square but its just not happening. When i sit the spring loose on the damper its at a 20 degree angle to the push rod of the damper so i dont see how the spring pan is supposed to sit flat on top of it.

I had to put the suspension back on the car yesterday as its at the garage today having the beam refurbed & lowered 40mm. I ended up building the strut up best i could but leaving the top nut slightly loose, put them back on the car & let weight of the car sit on them then tightened the top nut.

It drives fine but somethings definatly not right as its meant to be 40mm lower & its no where near plus one side seems to be higher than the other.

Im pretty sure when i collect the car from the garage its going to look like its doing a wheely. Ive seen loads of 205's lowered 40mm front & back & they sit pretty level whereas mines going to be high on the front. Any help is much appreciated, its driving me nuts!!