• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
andyjstone

New Drive Shafts

andyjstone

OK, went to fit my new drive shafts today, which were a replacement for the last new ones which failed!

Drivers side went on fine, but on the passenger side I have the hub carrier on the end of the strut, the drive shaft in, but I can't push the hub carrier in far enough to get it on the wishbone, the drive shaft just won't compress enough:

driveshaft-1.jpg

So, I'm thinking maybe they have sent me the wrong drive shaft, or can you guys think of another reason?

Is the a way I can check it is the right drive shaft, perhaps a measurement I can check?

Rippthrough

The joints haven't pulled out have they?

RossD

Sounds more than likely!

andyjstone
Sounds more than likely!

They seem OK, how do I check and is there anything I can do about it if they have?

dcc

I had same problem. it turned out to be the finishing on the hub end of the shaft, meant it wouldnt fit flush with the hub.

andyjstone
I had same problem. it turned out to be the finishing on the hub end of the shaft, meant it wouldnt fit flush with the hub.

That looks fine and the shaft actually seems too long as it's really difficult to get the hub over the end of it.

Miles

Could well be a 309 one, I guess the old ones have gone back now?

If you measure one and give me a shout tomorrow afternoon I'll measure one at the workshop

pablo

part number ok on the box?

andyjstone
Could well be a 309 one, I guess the old ones have gone back now?

If you measure one and give me a shout tomorrow afternoon I'll measure one at the workshop

That's what I thought - they are from a company called Shaftec and the part number on the box is P107L, P107R for the other one strangely enough, so I'm worried now that if the left is wrong the right is also wrong, although that went on OK.

The length with it sitting on the floor is 615mm end to end.

pablo

is it located against the hub ok and turning freely? If not it might just be fouling the hub and not sliding in enough. Heard of this problem with Q Drive shafts but mine was ok thankfully.

andyjstone
is it located against the hub ok and turning freely? If not it might just be fouling the hub and not sliding in enough. Heard of this problem with Q Drive shafts but mine was ok thankfully.

No, it's definitely going through the hub OK, just the right amount of shaft is sticking out!

welshpug

sounds like a 309 shaft, they are 10mm longer.

andyjstone
sounds like a 309 shaft, they are 10mm longer.

Could the other side be wrong as well i.e. is the 309 drivers side shaft also 10mm longer, but apart from that the same?

welshpug

yup, 10mm extra length there too to go with the extra 10mm of the wishbones.

andyjstone
yup, 10mm extra length there too to go with the extra 10mm of the wishbones.

But then would it fit OK, as that side went on fine.

Perhaps Miles, you could check on the length of the drivers side was well??

Guess I need to check with the supplier to see if they supplied the wrong part number or whether it is the wrong shaft in the right box :lol:

welshpug

data I have says 600/840 for a 1.9 205, and 610/850 for a 1.9 309.

might be possible for one side to go in what with tolerances of shells and mounting bushes.

Edited by welshpug

andyjstone
data I have says 600/840 for a 1.9 205, and 610/850 for a 1.9 309.

That really doesn't help as if I push it right the way in I can get it down to 590mm

james_pug

i had this problem fitting new shafts on my 1.9 about a month ago, was the same side as yours aswell. Turned out theyd supplied me a 309 shaft that was boxed as a 205 one, from my memory the 309 one was around 610mm when laid flat.

taylorspug

Looking at that picture id also say you have a 309 shaft there.

andyjstone
Looking at that picture id also say you have a 309 shaft there.

Yes, I checked the measurement and it is about 10mm longer, so it must be.

The dealer has agreed to send another shaft, which should be here tomorrow, so hopefully that will be the end of my drive shaft saga - for now :rolleyes: