• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jackman

Which Coilovers?

Jackman

After talking with Northampton Motorsport yesterday, he advised that my car would benefit alot more from a set of coilovers rather than my current Bilstein Group N Setup.

He suggested possibly a set of AVO's?

Any other suggestions?

Batfink

unless you are going to go for expensive coilover units you wont see much improvement other than you can run the car lower on harder springs...

Jackman
unless you are going to go for expensive coilover units you wont see much improvement other than you can run the car lower on harder springs...

He bascially felt that car was struggling for front end grip and the camber was a bit off.

Suggest a set of adjustable top mounts and coilovers and then to have them setup correctly!

When you say expensive, how expensive do you mean? Looking at AVO they are around £500.

welshpug

AST?

Baz

What torsion bars do you run then?

Does he sell Avo's per chance?? :angry:

Galifrey
Does he sell Avo's per chance?? :angry:

They do, amongst others

Rippthrough
They do, amongst others

Well, there's a happy coincidence.... :angry:

welshpug

Just a thought, not sure on your dampers but if they're the inverted type you could convert them to a 2.25" or 2.5" height adjustable spring pan and use a spring of your choice, as long as the dampers will cope with whatever spring you're going for that is.

Dj_mini

Iv had the avo's before and wasnt happy they needed re sealing in less than a year!

Jackman

Going to do a bit more research and see what else i can come up with!

DrSarty
Going to do a bit more research and see what else i can come up with!

Have a chat with Eeyore (Colin Satchell) down in Cornwall. Man's pretty switched on in this regard. :lol:

Miles

The main issue is budget, Without spending allot of decent Dampers then stick with what you have or mod the front;s to coil overs as the inserts come out with ease,

Avo's are OK but do leak quite often and not just on Pug's but they do fix em quick is one bonus!!

Daz_C
AST?

............... if you don't mind waiting........ and waiting.......... and waiting. Has it been 8 weeks already....... and waiting :lol:

After borrowing some Bilsteins myself I've found quality shocks to be far better than lower end ones.

The bigger the budget the better the shock, pretty much as Miles and Batfink said.

Jackman
Have a chat with Eeyore (Colin Satchell) down in Cornwall. Man's pretty switched on in this regard. :lol:

I may well do that!

I did speak with him when Sandy mapped my car for me :rolleyes:

I think i could benefit alot from a bigger anti roll bar on the front, so need to look into that!

I'm wondering weather slightly lower custom faulkner springs would make alot of difference?

Edited by Jackman

Batfink
............... if you don't mind waiting........ and waiting.......... and waiting. Has it been 8 weeks already....... and waiting :P

After borrowing some Bilsteins myself I've found quality shocks to be far better than lower end ones.

The bigger the budget the better the shock, pretty much as Miles and Batfink said.

AST offer such a great product but yeah...dont expect a quick service.

Personally if I was looking at front coilovers i'd also look at what skip brown can offer with the bilstein coilover units. You might be able to get some nice monotube coilovers.

welshpug

there's the cheap option then;

if they're the inverted type you could convert them to a 2.25" or 2.5" height adjustable spring pan and use a spring of your choice

mod the front;s to coil overs as the inserts come out with ease,

about £70 odd IIRC plus a set of springs.

then the expensive one...

Personally if I was looking at front coilovers i'd also look at what skip brown can offer with the bilstein coilover units. You might be able to get some nice monotube coilovers.

£700+

they'd be PTS with a bilstein insert like what Special Tuning offer, very similar to the Compbrake items too.

AST offer such a great product but yeah...dont expect a quick service.

Must get Adam to tell Curtis that his rep is getting about! DOH

Batfink

Getting stock is tricky as Curtis is simply way to busy to solely deal with demand especially when he does the bespoke stuff that requires him out the office.

Jackman

thanks for all the replys!

Will have a good think about it all, the cars coming off the road this month for the winter so i was looking to give it a makeover.

Any more info on converting my struts to coilovers?

Daz_C
Getting stock is tricky as Curtis is simply way to busy to solely deal with demand especially when he does the bespoke stuff that requires him out the office.

Maybe he should have told me that 6weeks ago :P instead of giving out the b**ls*it, and blatantly lying to me and leaving me in the s*it. He can Foxtrot Oscar now, he's had his chance, Skip Brown came in at a better price after a phone call yesterday :P

Sorry back on topic - here's a link to Rally design who sell the adjusable platform conversion kits.

Rally Design

welshpug

Curtis has been in the states for 2 weeks IIRC....

Rallydesign do a kit for a 2" o.d strut, I'm sure someone else does 2 sizes if a 2" wont do the trick.

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info....roducts_id=3450

are they a 40mm inverted insert? might be able to fit them into a coilover body rather than converting your current spring pans if so?

Edited by welshpug

tagy
Does he sell Avo's per chance?? :D

This is what I was thinking too. I have no idea but I wonder how much did he know about 205's? Did they actually measure the camber?

Really imho you need to look at the suspension setup as a whole, and decide what setup you want. Just sticking coilovers on because someone else thinks it's a good idea seems a bit odd.

Jackman
This is what I was thinking too. I have no idea but I wonder how much did he know about 205's? Did they actually measure the camber?

Really imho you need to look at the suspension setup as a whole, and decide what setup you want. Just sticking coilovers on because someone else thinks it's a good idea seems a bit odd.

I'm not sure on his level of knowledge!

He didn't try to actually sell me any AVO's he just suggested them!

My current suspension is just a set of Eibach springs and Bilstein Group N Dampers, thats pretty much it in all honesty!

Batfink

i'd say the eibach's are too soft for a track car, but on the road they give an element of comfort.

Jackman
i'd say the eibach's are too soft for a track car, but on the road they give an element of comfort.

Lol the car is already beyond the comfort level anyway!

I was told after i had ordered my Eibachs that Faulkners might be a better option?