• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pugpete1108

Rear Cylinder Leaking Brake Fluid

pugpete1108

after refitting my rear beam i have noticed some leakage from the union on the rear drum cylinders.

the bloke who made up the brake lines asked me if i had the right unions (he said older pugs had larger size ones??) i said no the std ones are fine (same as the rest of the system). is this correct or are they adifferent fitting?

i'm not sure on the size but i have used the same size as the rest of the system, could it be i have just not tightened them up enough?

Anthony

1.6 GTi cylinders are standard M10x1.

Base model cylinders are something larger - not exactly sure, but something like M12 I'd guess.

If it's leaking at the union, are you sure that brake pipes have been made correctly and that they're tight enough?

Tom Fenton

Ditto, the only other possibility, are you 100% they are 10x1 (this is the correct term, not M10 x 1) and not 3/8" UNF- these are used on older cars, Minis etc, and are close enough to 10x1 that they will screw in, but are sloppy and not a good fit.

pugpete1108

tbh lads i aint got an effing clue?

i got under today and gave em another half turn or so and i'll see how this goes.