• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Galifrey

266mm Front Brake Conversion

Galifrey

OK, so I want to uprate the front discs on my 1.6 so I can retain the pepperpot wheels, what combination of parts do I need?

Do I need to change hubs?

Any pro's and cons?

Is it worth doing or better off just improving the pads?

welshpug

yes you will need different hubs, either swap to base model items and fit whichever 266mm setup you find, or swap to 1.9 hubs and driveshafts and do the same with the brakes.

or, fit good pads to your 1.6 calipers, or you could fit 1.9 calipers and uprated pads.

Galifrey
yes you will need different hubs, either swap to base model items and fit whichever 266mm setup you find, or swap to 1.9 hubs and driveshafts and do the same with the brakes.

or, fit good pads to your 1.6 calipers, or you could fit 1.9 calipers and uprated pads.

I would imagine uprating the hubs and driveshafts might be a good idea as well?

Going to GTi6 power so cant do any harm?

Tom Fenton

I found that 266mm discs with 306 XSi calipers on 1900 hubs did NOT fit under 14" SMR Pepperpot wheels.

welshpug

which were they Tom? Bosch or Girling?

Galifrey
I found that 266mm discs with 306 XSi calipers on 1900 hubs did NOT fit under 14" SMR Pepperpot wheels.

Yes I believe Miles said I would need base model hubs not 1.9 GTi Hubs...

Want to keep the stock wheels if possible.

Anthony
Yes I believe Miles said I would need base model hubs not 1.9 GTi Hubs...

Want to keep the stock wheels if possible.

Base model and 1.9 GTi hubs are the same offset (just different bearing/spline size, hence the different 'shafts), so you'll have the same potential issue.

weejimmy

could they have fited with some grinding on the calipers?

28CRAIG

which were they Tom? Bosch or Girling?

I have had 1.6 wheels on my car i think they were smr's but not 100% sure, That was with the Lucas 266mm set up from a 306 xsi but the clearance was very close a bit of grinding on the calipers would be advised.

Galifrey
I have had 1.6 wheels on my car i think they were smr's but not 100% sure, That was with the Lucas 266mm set up from a 306 xsi but the clearance was very close a bit of grinding on the calipers would be advised.

OK so my wheels are 14 inch SMR, so worst case scenario, I have to change wheels to 14 inch Speedlines to get the clearance I need, or attack the caliper with a grinder!

mr_exe

I tried a 1.6 Speedline on our old 306 with the 266mm discs and they did'nt fit, so I presumed the caliper would need a bit taking off. It was very close, but would have also meant the wheel balance weights would'nt be able to go on the inside of the rim either.

Galifrey
I tried a 1.6 Speedline on our old 306 with the 266mm discs and they did'nt fit, so I presumed the caliper would need a bit taking off. It was very close, but would have also meant the wheel balance weights would'nt be able to go on the inside of the rim either.

No worries now, I have got some 15inch Goodwood Speedlines